Three key stats from Arizona baseball’s win Tuesday against Grand Canyon

Megan Ewing

Daniel Susac prepares to bat. The Arizona baseball team defeated ASU 14-2 on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, in Hi Corbett Field.

The Arizona baseball team defeated Grand Canyon University 5-3 Tuesday night. Here are three key stats from the victory for the Wildcats. 

Four one-run innings from Chandler Murphy:

After missing the start of the season to a shoulder injury, Murphy made his third appearance of the season on Tuesday against the Antelopes. 

After struggling in his first two appearances of the year, Murphy pitched significantly better against Grand Canyon to the tune of allowing 1 run on three hits over four innings to go along with three strikeouts and one walk. 

Murphy was stretched out a bit as well, throwing 52 pitches after throwing 23 and 36 pitches respectively in his first two appearances of the year.

RELATED: Arizona baseball loses two of three against UCLA in weekend series 

3.1 innings from Eric Orloff: 

Orloff entered the game in relief of Murphy. He retired the first 10 hitters he faced before allowing a walk and a single when he was removed from the game for Holden Christian. 

It was easily the best appearance from the freshman so far this season. He took the loss against Grand Canyon earlier this year back in February, allowing four (unearned) runs across 1.2 innings. This was his second straight appearance tossing at least three innings. 

Two home runs in the sixth inning:

After the Wildcats were getting no-hit through five innings, Mac Bingham broke it up with a solo home run in the sixth inning. Two batters later, Daniel Susac delivered a solo blast of his own to give Arizona a 2-1 lead. 

The Wildcats added 3 more runs in the next two innings before Christian fought off a late comeback by GCU to secure his fourth save on the season.

Arizona moves to 18-7 overall as they now head out to Seattle for a three-game series against the University of Washington this weekend. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter