Police Beat

Lady hides in bushes, screams at pedestrians

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to the parking garage on Speedway Boulevard and Park Avenue in reference to a disorderly conduct call on July 11 at 6 p.m.

The officers observed a woman yelling at pedestrians from her hideout in some bushes just east of the garage. The officers made contact with the woman, who identified herself. A records check revealed that the woman had an outstanding exclusionary order issued on May 13.

The officers spotted a 40-ounce bottle of Old English malt liquor and a plastic cup full of beer near the bushes that the woman had been hiding in. The woman was placed in handcuffs and cited on charges of criminal trespassing and interfering with an educational institution.

She was transported to Pima County Jail and booked.

Fraternity boy’s bedroom burglarized

UAPD officers responded to the Beta Theta Phi fraternity house in reference to a forced burglary on July 8 at 12:45 a.m.

The officers made contact with a member of the fraternity, who told them that sometime between 10 p.m. on July 7 and 12:10 a.m. on July 8, his room was burglarized and several items were missing. The subject stated that when he returned to his room, he noticed that the window was partially open and the blinds were drawn at a strange angle.

He told officers that his MacBook computer, iPod and iHome radio were missing. Several fraternity members were home at the time of the incident, but they told officers that nobody had heard anything or noticed any suspicious activity.

Officers noticed that two screws had been removed from the exterior of the window, allowing access to the room. The officers were unable to collect any fingerprints at the scene, and there are no known suspects at this time.

The fraternity member was given a victim’s rights form.

Tagger gets caught black-handed

UAPD officers responded to a criminal damage call at the Student Union Memorial Center on July 9 at 3:45 a.m.

When officers arrived on scene, they made contact with a university employee who showed them the location of the graffiti. The graffiti was a tag consisting of the letters and numbers “”JMZ09″” and was written in black spray paint.

The officers noticed that the spray paint was still wet and went to search the immediate area for any suspects while several officers continued to question the university employee.

While officers were talking with the employee, two men rode up on bicycles to use a water fountain. An officer noticed that one of the men did not have a light on his bicycle and made contact with the rider.

The officer then noticed that the man had black paint residue on his hands and clothing and questioned him about it. The suspect pulled a can of black spray paint out of the waistband of his shorts. He told the officers that he had done the tagging and that his friend was not involved at all. He said the pair had been drinking at The Loft Cinema earlier and decided to ride around the university area.

The man’s friend was intoxicated and belligerent and was handcuffed by officers for his uncooperative demeanor. The graffiti artist was handcuffed and Mirandized.

Both men were issued six-month university exclusionary orders, and officers recommended that the incident be forwarded to the Pima County Attorney’s Office for prosecution.