Texas artist to bring indie sensibility to Club Congress

In continuing its tradition of showcasing a wide-range of musical acts and artists, Club Congress is bringing yet another fresh voice to its historical stage this Thursday night. The star of the night? The soulful redhead, Sahara Smith.  

The young Texas native created quite a buzz among the music scene with the release of her first single entitled “”The Real Thing,”” earning her growing recognition among music connoisseurs. Now, the young starlet is making her way across the country on her own personal tour to promote her debut album Myth of the Heart.

While Smith could generally be classified as a country artist, her crisp, unique voice and individual style brings a little something else to the table. “”Sahara’s a Texas artist who is influenced by a mix of blues, folk, country and rock, pulled together by a stylish, indie sensibility that I think makes her appealing to a broad audience,”” says publicist Tyler Cannon of Shore Fire Media.   

Although she only just celebrated her 22nd birthday, Smith is a veteran to the performance biz. She began playing music when she was just 12-years-old. She even wrote one of her songs featured on Myth of the Heart when she was a mere 13-years-old. However, it was in 2004, when Smith was only 15, that she first won national acclaim when she participated in “”A Prairie Home Companion””‘s national “”Talent from Twelve to Twenty”” contest. Even though she only ended up taking second place at the competition, she walked away with more than just the $700 prize. In the months that followed, she garnered a manager and began playing throughout Austin, Texas, at a variety of venues.

Now, with a more mature sound and presence, it is no surprise that Smith has recently found her way into the realm of national fame, capturing the eyes and ears of a wide range of listeners and releasing her very own album.

Since its release at the end of August, Smith’s album has received a flood of rave reviews. The Los Angeles Times spoke of Smith’s voice as “”hit(ing) angelic highs reminiscent of Alison Krauss and Emmylou,”” and American Songwriter noted that “”Smith’s ethereal pipes pull you in, and her way with words keep you there.””  

So if you are ready to be pulled into a night of poignant lyrics and striking vocals yourself, you might want to check out Sahara Smith this Thursday night at Club Congress. Maybe you will discover what charming myth rests in the heart of this soulful singer.