Nic Wise still unsure if he’ll stay or transfer

Nic Wise has decided to make himself eligible for the 2009 NBA Draft.

Arizona Cactus Classic

UA sophomore Nic Wise is still unsure whether he’ll stay with the Arizona men’s basketball team or transfer to another school.

The guard observed his former AAU team, Houston Hoops, Friday night at the Arizona Cactus Classic in McKale Center.

Wise was with his brother, Dondre Wise, and teammates Zane Johnson, David Bagga and Fendi Onobun, another former Houston Hoops player.

Wise said the addition of new UA assistant coaches Russ Pennell and Mike Dunlap hasn’t pushed him to staying or going.

“”I haven’t really looked too much into either one of them so I really don’t know too much,”” Wise said.

Though he said it’s a big hit to the Wildcat program, Wise said the departure of assistant coach Josh Pastner to Memphis isn’t affecting his choice, either.

“”He’s gotta do what’s best for him and I respect him for it,”” Wise said. “”Everyone’s gotta do what’s best for them – players and coaches – so you just gotta show ’em love.””

And still, the return of Olson isn’t a factor, either, Wise said.

Pennell, who pulled his AAU team, Arizona Premier, from the tournament but was in attendance, said he’d like for Wise to stay with the Wildcats and resolve whatever concerns he has.

“”We’ve gotta get inside the kids’ heads, we’ve got to find out why those issues are,”” Pennell said. “”With Nic, what are the issues here? And then once those are addressed what you hope is the answers he gets are satisfactory and (he) wants to stay.

“”I think it’s important with whoever stays is really committed,”” Pennell added. “”If both feet are in the ring and we’re fighting together and it’s not just, ‘Well I’m half committed.’ There’s no such thing. I would certainly hope Nic Wise stays. He’s a quality, quality basketball player, tough hard-nose competitor, so hopefully we can all have a hand in him rethinking and making sure this is where he wants to be.””

– Bryan Roy contributed reporting