Women’s golf leads Bruin Wave

After one round of play, nationally ranked No. 8 Arizona women’s golf team (-5) holds a three-stroke lead over the nation’s top team, the UCLA Bruins.

The Wildcats are led by sophomore Nikki Koller and junior Alejandra Llaneza, who are both tied for third at (-4). The two are only one stroke behind co-leaders Danielle Kang of Pepperdine University and Molly Aronsson of University of Washington, both at (-5).

Koller and Llaneza both shot bogey-free rounds on the 6,282-yard, par-72 course, as only ten individuals notched rounds below par in the field of over 90 girls.

Although Arizona saw shaky performances from last week’s leading scorer Margarita Ramos (+2) and freshman sensation Sherlyn Popelka (+7), it stands atop the star-studded field which includes five of the top-10 teams in the nation according to golfstatresults.com. No. 6 Southern California is in a tie for second at (-2), No. 9 Pepperdine is in fourth (even), and No. 2 ASU is tied for seventh at (+6).

Arizona, which has recorded six consecutive top-10 finishes, is in position to extend its streak to seven as the second round begins today with tee times beginning at 9 a.m. The final round is set for Wednesday with tee times beginning at 8:45 a.m.