Fake ID bad idea

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Saul Tyler, doorman for Ches Lounge on 4th Ave. and 7th Street, checks IDs Saturday, January 23rd.  Saul has worked for Ches for three years and has a large stack of confiscated IDs.
Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat Saul Tyler, doorman for Che’s Lounge on 4th Ave. and 7th Street, checks ID’s Saturday, January 23rd. Saul has worked for Che’s for three years and has a “large stack” of confiscated ID’s.

It’s not uncommon for underage drinkers and students to consider obtaining a fake identification card.

But there are negative consequences when someone uses a fictitious or invalid ID, and the University of Arizona Police Department and Tucson bars do what they can to prevent it.

The Auld Dubliner, located at 800 E. University Blvd., looks at each ID card under a black light before a person is granted entrance.

“”Sometimes you can tell if an ID is fake if there’s a discoloration,”” said Jonas Black, a bartender. “”We study people’s photographs, too.””

If the Auld Dubliner comes across someone with a fake ID, the bar calls Tucson Police Department and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

“”Don’t come to the Auld Dubliner with a fucking fake ID,”” Black said. 

“”We have a device that scans the cards, and the doormen have to look at the cards as well,”” said Tony Jones, manager at Gentle Ben’s Brewing Co.

Gentle Ben’s, 865 E. University Blvd., catches six to 10 fake IDs per month.

“”Our doormen have been with us for a very long time, pretty experienced,”” Jones said. “”The identification card basically goes through two sets of eyes.””

When Gentle Ben’s comes across a fake ID, they take the card away, rip it up and send the person on his or her way. They will only call the police if alcohol has already been served to the person in possession of a fake ID.

UAPD crime prevention officer Andrew Valenzuela said the bars in Tucson are not owned by the UA, so UAPD would not be the first police department a bar would call if a doorman encountered someone with a fake ID.

“”Our first priority to respond to is campus itself,”” Valenzuela said. “”In the past, TPD has deferred certain calls to our agency if they are not in a position to respond to that because of call load or whatever their man power allows for or disallows for.””

Valenzuela said there have been instances when students are arrested on campus and found in possession of a fake ID.

“”Sometimes they present themselves with a fictitious identification card. There are a multitude of circumstances that have that happen,”” Valenzuela said.

It is against the law in Arizona to possess an ID card or license that is suspended, revoked, canceled or otherwise fictitious. This includes having a valid driver’s license that does not belong to the person using it.

“”I’d say owning a fake ID card is a really big risk,”” said Angela Palomer, a family studies and human development sophomore who is younger than 21. “”I could understand why someone would want to do it, but I wouldn’t. I want to go to law school someday, so I don’t want that kind of thing on my record.””