Police Beat

A male student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office around 3 a.m. April 15 after he pulled a bulletin board off a wall and broke it into several pieces at La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave.

The student, who lived at La Paz, had been leaving written notes about a female resident of the dormitory on the walls of a hallway and the bulletin board.

The notes read, “”(Name of resident) D smells like pee,”” and “”(Name of resident) fucked her ex-boyfriend,”” according to reports.

The male student would also knock on her door and run away when she answered.

The female student said these actions had been going on since the middle of March.

She said they used to be good friends and then had a falling-out. She said she didn’t want to be contacted by the male student anymore, so she called UAPD.

She found the bulletin board lying up against her door with her name scratched into it with an “”X”” through her name.

She said she did not believe the student was a physical threat to her and just wanted police to tell him not to contact her again.

Police contacted the male student, and he said the female student had also been writing things about him such as “”(Name of resident) shaves his legs,”” reports stated. He said he was trying to get back at her.

When police asked about him knocking on her door, he became very defensive, would not answer the questions and would try to change the subject.

He also would not talk about the bulletin board and asked if he could call a lawyer. Police left his room so he could do so.

The student then admitted to breaking the bulletin board and scratching it.

Police told the student that he was responsible for paying for the damages made to the bulletin board. He was diverted to the dean and instructed not to contact the female student again.

Police contacted Southern Arizona Mental Health after being called to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall, 1000 N. Park Ave., about a possible suicide around 5 p.m. April 15.

A student called police after she found out that her friend had cut her wrists horizontally about seven or eight times.

When police arrived, the resident admitted to cutting her wrists with scissors the night before but said she was not suicidal.

Her friend said she was worried because the resident was depressed.

Police were unable to get the resident to say that she would not hurt herself any more that night, so they called SAMH, and two representatives arrived on the scene.

They spoke with the resident, who agreed to SAMH’s “”No harm contract.”” They also said they would be checking on the resident.

They said they would provide the resident with doctors and therapy free of charge.

Both police and the representatives told the resident they would be available to help 24 hours a day.

A cart full of stanchions belonging to the UA was stolen from a storage room on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., between around 11 p.m.

April 16 and around 9 a.m. April 17.

Staff searched the union to locate the items, but they did not turn up. The cart was later found.

Staff said about 12-14 stanchions were taken, and they were valued at $2,500 to $3,000.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A 44-year-old man was warned for criminal trespassing around 11:30 p.m. April 17 after being found inside La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., without a legitimate reason.

The man was not affiliated with the UA.

A resident assistant called police after spotting a male who did not appear to be a student on the first floor of the hall.

He was a black male and wore blue jeans and a blue sweatshirt. UAPD had received a report of an older black man looking into La Paz 10 minutes before.

Police contacted him in the dormitory’s courtyard, and the man said he and a friend had been escorted into the building by a female resident.

He said the resident and his friend had gone into her room to “”take care of business,”” reports stated.

He said he did not look into any windows. He said he was a traveling employee of the company providing carnival rides at the Pima County Fair.

Police told the man it appeared that he carried UA textbooks, followed a resident into La Paz, and was there for no legitimate reason.

He denied this and said the books were not his. Police escorted him out, and he left on foot.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu