Solomon Hill says he will be a Wildcat

Solomon Hill
    Solomon Hill

Four-star recruit Solomon Hill confirmed he will officially become a Wildcat, with the men’s basketball spring signing period beginning today.

“”As soon as I get my letter of intent, I’m gonna sign, which will be on Wednesday or Thursday,”” Hill said in a phone interview with the Daily Wildcat on Tuesday.

Newly hired UA head coach Sean Miller and his up-tempo offense is what sold Arizona to Hill again, the high school senior said.

The possibility of playing with quick point guard Nic Wise -ÿwho will test the NBA Draft waters this summer -ÿonly helped with Hill’s decision.

“”Just getting the ball right off the net and just going, that’s big,”” Hill said of the Wildcats’ selling points. “”I’m able to do that and then push and then dribble-drive. Dribble-drive is what I love to do. That puts you on the floor with, like, Nic Wise, and going. Sounds like fun.””

Hill verbally committed to play for Arizona last July, but withdrew his intent to play for the Wildcats in favor of USC when former UA head coach Lute Olson retired in late October.

Hill said he talked to Miller on Sunday about what the ex-Xavier coach has brought to the desert with him.

“”Getting up the floor is big with me and he brought that,”” Hill said. “”Everything that he broke down to me is everything that I’m looking for.””

Hill, a 6-foot-6, 195-pound prospect from Fairfax (Calif.) High School, joins fellow four-star recruit Kyryl Natyazhkoÿ- a 6-foot-10, 250-pound center -ÿas members of Arizona’s 2009-10 recruiting class.

Unranked junior college player Tremayne Johnson was offered a scholarship by last season’s assistant coach, Reggie Geary, but it’s not clear if the 6-foot-7, 200-pound power forward is still an Arizona prospect.

Hill – who can play many different positions – said leaving USC’s recruiting class for the Wildcats’ was a hard decision to make.

“”You’ve got USC -ÿprobably a rising team in the Pac-10,”” Hill said. “”But it was just about finding what was the perfect place for me, finding a place I think I can set my feet down in and build up. I would love to stay home and go to USC, but right now it’s about going somewhere where I can get out and play, and play for a coach that I know will be good for me and work me.

“”And still, it’s Arizona,”” Hill added. “”It’s a lot of work and it’s a big-time school. I just want to help build that school and start fresh somewhere else.””

Staying in Los Angeles would have been convenient for Hill and his family, but he said the opportunity he faces will be worth leaving home.

Besides, he will be able to escape from the shadow of big man Renardo Sidney, his high school teammate who is headed to USC.

“”Hopefully Arizona’s going to become like a second home to me,”” Hill said.

Hill said he is a hard worker who will be able to make an immediate impact for the Wildcats.

“”I’m gonna work because you only get one chance, really. I’m gonna go all out and I’m gonna do everything I can,”” Hill said. “”Anything you need -ÿrebounding, scoring, assists, defense – I’m gonna try to work hard.””

The high school senior plans on moving to Tucson early in the summer. Now that he has made a decision to become a Wildcat again, there is a lot of weight that has been lifted off his shoulders.

“”I don’t have to worry about things any more,”” Hill said. “”It’s just getting there now. It feels good.””