Standout seniors

Men’s Basketball

Guard Jawann McClellan averaged 7.7 points per game and provided solid leadership throughout his four years in the program. He provided stability as a senior during a chaotic year.

Forward Bret Brielmaier went from a walk-on to a quality rotation player during his four years as a Wildcat. He was one of the top walk-ons in UA history and provided toughness.

Football

Cornerback Antoine Cason won the Thorpe Award given to the nation’s top defensive back last year on top of All-Pacific 10 Conference First-Team honors. After a four-year career in which he started every game, he was picked in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft (No. 27 overall) by the San Diego Chargers.

Linebacker Spencer Larsen led the Wildcats in tackles the last two years and earned All-Pac-10 First-Team honors as a senior. He was selected in the sixth round (No. 183 overall) by the Denver Broncos.

Defensive tackle Lionel Dotson led the Wildcats with 6.5 sacks last season to earn All-Pac-10 Second-Team honors. He was picked in the seventh round (No. 245 overall) by the Miami Dolphins.

Although less heralded than Cason, cornerback Wilrey Fontenot also started every game at cornerback the last four years, leading him to be picked No. 212 overall in the seventh round by the Atlanta Falcons.

Offensive tackle Peter Graniello started 44 games the past four years, providing veteran leadership to a young line over the past two years.

Baseball

First baseman C.J. Ziegler has hit 16 home runs thus far this year, good enough for ninth in program history.

Infielder Colt Sedbrook has hit two inside-the-park home runs this year and has provided versatility in the infield the last three years. He’s also the has been hit by more pitches than any other UA baseball player and set a single-season record for HBP with a nation-high 26 in 2006.

Pitcher David Coulon is enjoying his best year as a Wildcat this year with a 7-3 record and 3.26 ERA.

Softball

Pitcher Taryne Mowatt earned WCWS Most Outstanding Player honors during her Second-Team All-American campaign last year. She also won ESPYs for Best Female Athlete and Best Female College Athlete.

Catcher Callista Balko earned All-Pac-10 First-Team honors last year after catching every pitch for the second straight season. She has hit at least 10 homers and drove in at least 30 runs her last two seasons.

Women’s Basketball

Guard Ashley Whisonant earned Second-Team All-Pac-10 honors as a senior when she averaged 15.4 points and 4.9 assists per game. She led the team in points, assists, steals, minutes and games started.

Volleyball

Middle blocker Dominique Lamb broke an 18-year school record for blocks as she ended her career with 467 and earned All-Pac-10 honors as a senior.

Soccer

Defender Claire Bodiya earned Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 honors the last two years and started every game as a true freshman.

Men’s Swimming

Darian Townsend won the 200-yard individual medley and helped the 400y medley relay, 800y freestyle relay and 400y freestyle relay teams win titles at the NCAA Championships.

Albert Subirats won an NCAA title in the 100y butterfly and helped Arizona win the 400y medley and 400y freestyle relay national championships.

Women’s Swimming

Lacey Nymeyer was named the 2008 Pac-10 Swimmer of the Year after winning the NCAA Championship in the 100y freestyle and anchoring the 200y free relay team – which set an NCAA, American and U.S. Open record – and took part in the 400y medley relay national title winning team.

Gymnastics

Karin Wurm ends her UA career as the third-leading scorer in Gymcats history with 1,958.1 points. She earned All-America honors in the all-around and on the floor in 2007.

Men’s Golf

Creighton Honeck won the Pac-10 Championships this year for his first-ever win. He also finished in the top-10 twice and in the top-20 three times to earn First-Team All-Pac-10 honors.

Women’s Golf

Alison Walshe won three tournaments this season and six in her two years as a Wildcat, including a win at the NCAA West Regional this season.

Men’s Tennis

Claudio Christen and Bruno Alcala reached the semifinals of the 2008 Pac-10 Championships.

Men’s Track & Field

Bobby McCoy ran a 45.6 400m dash, which is the third-fastest time in UA history and the fifth-fastest time in the nation this year.

Women’s Track & Field

Megan Howard qualified for the 2008 NCAA West Regionals in the hammer throw and shot put. In 2006, she placed fifth in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships in the shot put and seventh in the weight throw.