New women’s dorm opens

Parker Hall, formerly sorority house Alpha Chi Omega, opened as a new residence hall on Thursday, Aug. 19. The dorm houses about 50 female residents. Rita Lichamer/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Parker House, previously home to Alpha Chi Omega sorority, has opened its doors as a dorm this semester.

The house, located at 1775 E. First St., is a single-sex undergraduate dorm which houses about 50 women.

The sorority moved out of the house after its charter was revoked in February by the Alpha Chi Omega national council due to low enrollment.

Jim Van Arsdel, director of Residence Life and University Housing, said the transition from greek house to dormitory has been smooth.

“”Typically we have to do a lot of work to privately-owned facilities that are not maintained as well as university-owned facilities,”” Van Arsdel said.

“”With a sorority house that has been maintained well over time, it’s a really easy thing for us to do and a really affordable thing for us to do.””

Students say that because the dorm is a house it provides a unique atmosphere.

“”There’s more of a sense of community,”” said undecided freshman Carolyn Ehat. “”We can all leave our doors open and get to know each other.””

Pre-business and marketing freshman Cammie Budde agreed.

“”It’s more homey definitely,”” she said. “”All the girls are really sweet and you can really get to know each other.””

The location of the house is ideal for students interested in Greek Life, she added.

“”I love it. It’s really convenient because I’m rushing and it’s right on greek row,”” Budde said.

The house has also recently been updated with wireless Internet, according to family studies and human development senior Andrea Wheeler, undergraduate community director for Parker House.

“”I would definitely recommend living here,”” Wheeler said. “”It’s a nice place, the rooms are pretty big, and the friendly atmosphere makes it nice.””