Johnny Field a top offensive baseball Wildcat

Arizona baseball junior outfielder Johnny Field is one of the top offensive Wildcats returning to the roster in 2013. He was honored for his prior success by being named a Preseason All-America Third Team by Baseball America on Thursday.

The player they call “Man Baby” had a breakout year in 2012. Field hit for a .370 batting average, drove in 44 runs and scored 72 runs. His success at the plate earned him the 2012 Pac-12 batting title and a roster spot on the collegiate USA national team.

Field, who was listed as a designated hitter on the All-America list, drastically improved his stats between his freshman and sophomore year. The right-handed outfielder only hit .297 in 2011 and reached base 11 percent less than in his sophomore year.

“He’s a great player,” Arizona head coach Andy Lopez said. “We’re going to need him this year, but we got to make sure he doesn’t try too hard to carry the team.”

Last season, Field hit second in the batting order for the Wildcats, but this season Lopez has said he expects Field to hit more in the heart of the lineup.

Field was highly recruited out of high school in Las Vegas, Nev., but he began to gain a lot of national attention after he opened the 2012 postseason in NCAA regionals by batting .533 with 10 RBI and eight runs, including a grand slam in a three-game sweep by the Wildcats.

2013 will be the first year since he graduated from high school that Field is eligible for the Major League Baseball draft, but he’s not too worried about the draft.

“I can’t think about that right now,” Field said. “It’s way too early for that, and I’m more focused on getting this team ready for the season.”

The Wildcats will open the 2013 season on Feb. 15 at Hi-Corbett field as they host Coppin State.