Eat It: Conquer the Kitchen

Food is a fact of life, but eating out doesn’t have to be. As college students first instincts is to grab something on campus or go out to eat elsewhere. But why not cook? Because it’s hard? Because you can’t do it? Fret no more, we’re here to make cooking as easy as that tier one trad you aced last semester.

Roasted chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (If you don’t have any leftover roasted chicken hanging around, try Safeway or Fry’s whole rotisserie chickens)

• 7 medium-sized potatoes
  • 2 onions, red or yellow or both, chopped
  • 3 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic (You can buy this pre- peeled in the produce section of any grocery store) chopped finely
  • 2 teaspoons thyme, dried or fresh
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste
  • 4 scallions, chopped finely
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Clean the potatoes well and cut them into quarters. Try to keep them even in size. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. This should take about 15 minutes; however time can vary. Heat the olive oil in a large frying or sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the chopped onions until they begin to become translucent and sweetly fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In the same pan, add the peppers, garlic, thyme, paprika and tomato paste. Be sure to mix these well. After about 6 minutes the peppers will begin to caramelize. You’ll notice a light browning and that the peppers are more flimsy in appearance. Next, add the potatoes and the chicken. Take your pan off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chopped scallions as a garnish and serve. A simple dish that revolves around basic flavors, this is the kind of quick comfort food that every student should give a try. Grab some rolls and sop up the homey goodness of Capote’s Chicken Hash.