Soccer looks to end streak in Tempe

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily WIldcat Junior Kristin Strother kicks ball. UA hosts South Carolina, double overtime loss. Friday, Aug 26 2011.

The Arizona women’s soccer team has struggled to open the season, losing its first four games. The first step toward becoming a competitive, and winning soccer team can be accomplished with a few victories in Tempe, Ariz., this weekend.

Starting this afternoon, the Wildcats will participate in the Sun Devil Desert Classic hosted by ASU. They will play Missouri today at 2 p.m. and will follow that up with a game against the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday. If they can come out of this weekend with two victories, the Wildcats will find themselves at 2-4 and momentum shifting back in the right direction.

But if they want to buck this losing trend, their work is cut out for them.

They need to score goals. Going into their game this afternoon, the Wildcats have been without a goal for a school-record 822 minutes. BYU, South Carolina, Pepperdine and San Diego State have combined to score six goals against the Wildcats.

Despite the losses, there were some positives in the scoreless streak. Against Pepperdine, ranked No. 13 in the most recent NSCAA Coaches poll, the Wildcats outshot the opposition in the first half and edged the Waves on corner kicks 3-2.