Fifth time’s the charm

AM
Ginny Polin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Stephanie de Sola a senior, anthropology major. De Sola received the leadership award from the school anthropology.De Sola is involved in native american studies.

Choosing a major in college is a tough decision to consider.

Studies have shown that around 80 percent of college students have changed their major at least once during their experience, according to the College Board.

Stephanie De Sola, a graduating anthropology senior, said she has changed her major five times since enrolling as a freshman at the UA. It wasn’t until she took a traditions and cultures course during her sophomore year that she discovered her interest in Native American studies.  

“”Just seeing what they did as anthropologists was exciting,”” De Sola said. “”Working with communities and bridging the gap between hard sciences and social sciences is very appealing to me.””

The School of Anthropology is divided into four sections that students can choose to specialize in: archaeology, biological anthropology, linguistic anthropology and socio-cultural anthropology.

De Sola is specializing in socio-cultural anthropology and will be spending her time with Native American communities in the Northeastern Arizona when she graduates. After this, she plans on going to graduate school. In the meantime, De Sola said she is looking forward to working with people in her field.

De Sola said her experience at the UA has been great and encouraged incoming students to challenge their interests.

“”If I could tell something to a new student, I would say, ‘Don’t be fearful,'”” De Sola said. “”The way the system is set up, you can take a general education course and you might surprise yourself in what you’re interested in. I know I really was.””