UA tops ASU in robot clash

In its first-ever robot battle with Arizona State University, the UA prevailed this weekend.

The UA’s single team beat all three of ASU’s teams in Friday’s Arizona Intel Robotics Challenge at the Brickyard 221 in Tempe.

The victors received not only bragging rights and assorted prizes cards, but also got job offers and opportunities to network with Intel Corporation representatives, said UA team leader Thanh Ho, a computer engineering senior.

Marked with the trademark “”A,”” the UA’s robot ran into a few problems, Ho said, but won in every tier of the competition.

Robots were expected to navigate an office area cluttered with cubicles while attempting to complete five tasks related to home security. Missions included detecting intruders and detecting high temperatures as from a fire.

“”We were pretty confident that we won after the first challenge was over,”” Ho said. “”ASU’s robots ran into a lot of problems, and we knew they could not recover.””

At one point, the UA robot’s server computer crashed, and the team struggled to coordinate its movements, Ho said.

Team members successfully troubleshot these problems, coming out strong, he said.

Although the competition was at ASU, Ho recalled that by the end of the competition, more people there were rooting for their instate rival.

“”We could control our robot from a totally different room, which made our robot especially cool,”” he said. “”Although we could control some of it, the robot is designed to do everything on its own.””