The District may be red-tagged but you can still rage

Hailey Eisenbach
    Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat The District, a new student housing high-rise, is working around its first City of Tucson “red tag.” The complex received the tag for excessive partying at/near the pool area on August 25.

UA students cannot be tamed.

Many residents and non-residents of the District on 5th have already pinpointed the new student housing as a party landmark, actively taking advantage of a fresh pool experience at The District last weekend. The boozed-up ragers made their mark with murky water and scattered beer cans and red Solo cups — not to mention a big fat red tag for the complex and the pool.

How exactly does a whole complex get red-tagged, you may ask? The District’s staff were not eager to release any information about the incident, but neighbors most likely alerted the police of the unruly gathering. However, that isn’t the only reason nearby homeowners have to dislike the enormous five-story madhouse.

The District was built on a historic site, West University Neighborhood’s historic preservation zone. Its location disrupts five historic homes along the building’s expansive perimeter. Considering this invasion of space, it’s easier to understand why the District’s neighbors are so upset by rowdy student celebrations.

The red tag is valid for 180 days, meaning that no parties or gatherings of 5 or more people may take place on the property during that time. If any unruly gatherings are reported at the location during that time, the hosts will be hit with a fine. But let’s be real — historic site or not, nothing is going to stop party animals from having a good time, whether at The District or elsewhere.

So, how is it possible to party under the radar? Try to be a stationary partier, and if you’re intoxicated, steer clear of hallways, courtyards and the surrounding perimeter of the District. Your drunk screaming will carry in open areas, leading to unhappy neighbors.

Alcohol is no longer allowed in the pool area, so if you’re going to continue drinking at the pool, put your drink in a water bottle or some sort of less obvious container than a Solo cup or beer can. And although loud music is a sign of a good party, the good time isn’t worth the fine. Turn down the music a couple of notches, for your own sake. Party smart, and let the good times roll.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Sophia @50ph1a_23n0.