OPINION: A love letter to Sun Link

Jackie Cabrera

A passenger walks onto a Sun Link streetcar at the University Boulevard Sun Link stop on Friday, Sep 24.  The Sun Link has been fare-free as part of COVID-19 safety precautions but fares may resume in the new year depending on decisions made by city officials.  

Dear Sun Link, 

You are the only thing I willingly chase after each day. Your simple chime brings me joy knowing I don’t have to walk across campus to my destination, but can rather hitch a ride. I don’t normally run, but if I do, it’s to catch the Sun Link. 

But for real, the Sun Link being free this semester has made all the difference in my life. Having accessible transportation between downtown and campus is extremely important for students who live off-campus. With the price of on-campus garages, it’s not feasible for everyone to commute to campus, let alone have access to a car. With the Link, students can safely get to campus and arrive at various destinations throughout campus. 

The fares are currently waived and according to the Sun Tran website, fares will be waived until at least Dec. 31, 2021. With more than 100,000 people living and working within a half-mile of the streetcar route, it’s imperative that we have an accessible source of public transportation. The destinations the link services extend well beyond campus. Locations include the El Rio Community Health Center, The Tucson Convention Center, Pima County Supreme Court and Fourth Avenue, amongst many others. 

When it’s incredibly hot outside I am not very inclined to walk the entirety of campus to get to my destination risking sweat stains in undesirable locations so taking the link can be an incredible asset. The Arizona heat can also be incredibly exposing to someone traveling by foot and allowing a safe route from downtown is pertinent. With the suspension of fares, this resource is finally widely accessible to the community. 

The Sun Link also runs until 2 a.m. from Thursday-Saturday creating a convenient and safe source of transportation after a night out. And let me tell you, taking the Sun Link from 4th after a night out is a spiritual experience. At midnight, it’s easy to forget to hold onto something when the link starts moving and being thrown to the floor by the unexpected acceleration of the Sun Link is a shared experience held dear to many students.

This is also my formal letter of appreciation for the new seating area that was put up by the Sun Link stop at 2nd St. and Park. Shoving myself in one of those little green chairs after class waiting for the Link to arrive is now a daily ritual. 

Whether you’re taking the link to class, work or after a night out, we can all appreciate how convenient it has been with waived fares. So please wear a mask and be respectful on the Link because it’s a resource for the entire community.  

Sincerely, 

An appreciative Linker 

Follow Maggie Landon on Twitter

Maggie (she/her) is a senior studying finance from San Diego, Calfornia. She loves to rewatch Twilight and hangout with her friends.