Football springs back into action

With two weeks before its Spring Game on April 12, the Arizona football team completed another one of its 15 allowed sessions with a scrimmage at Arizona Stadium on Saturday. The Wildcat offense put up 24 first downs and a combined 400 yards off offense with junior quarterbacks Nick Foles, Matt Scott and Bryson Beirne going 30-for-35 in passes.

Foles and Scott both had touchdowns in the 90-play session.

For the running backs, Daniel Jenkins, Taimi Tutogi, Kylan Butler and Travis Cobb all saw action. Jenkins led with 91 yards and a score.

Running back Nic Grigsby was still sidelined but ran conditioning drills with strength coach Corey Edmond.

The defense, which will have to replace seven starters in the fall, was able to contain the offense at the beginning of the scrimmage. They stopped three drives before Scott lead the offense into the endzone. Foles’ sprained ankle, which he suffered more than a week ago, did not appear to bother him. Offensive guard Chris Putton and defensive tackle Jonathan Hollins both apparently sprained their knee and had to leave the field.

The defense had six total sacks, led by seniors Brooks Reed and Ricky Elmore with two sacks apiece. The defense also forced a fumble by junior receiver Gino Crump that was returned for 12 yards by Adam Hall.

Three former Wildcats also took the field for their pro days. Tight end Rob Gronkowski, H-Back Chris Gronkowski and cornerback Devin Ross performed in front of 28 NFL teams. Rob Gronkowski, who did not play in the 2009 season because of back injuries, ran the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.72.