Students audition for fashion show

Jessica Haag, a UA Psychology senior, took the runway Friday night, February 5th, 2010 at the Presidio Room in the SUMC as April Brydges, from Barbizon Modeling Agency, takes notes that will later decide which models make the cut for the annual fashion show. NSBE is hosting the Annual Fashion Show and Concert this coming March 7th, 2010 which will feature models from the UofA of all majors, wearing clothing from Dillards and Banana Republic.
Gordon Bates

Students strutted their stuff on Friday hoping to be a part of the National Society for Black Engineers’ Semi-Annual Spring Fashion Show and Concert.

Tryouts were held by the Barbizon modeling agency. Barbizon will help coordinate the fashion show and offer expertise.

The event took place for the first time last semester.

“”I thought it was really well put on, so I wanted to be a part of it,”” said Shannon McKinley, an engineering junior and one of the aspiring models.

“”It is a really great way to show your support for the local NSBE (National Society for Black Engineers) and a great opportunity for a career in runway shows and modeling,”” said Kristy Benson, one of the Barbizon modeling instructors.

“”I really had a good time,”” said Jessaca Haag, a psychology senior who had been in the fall show.

Haag does local modeling for a boutique called Rockin’ Queen, but said this was the first time she had worked with a modeling agency.

“”They taught us different walks and different poses,”” Haag said. “”I learned a lot from doing it last time.””

The show is raising money for NSBE to attend the national convention in Toronto on March 31.

The event will have a diverse group of 20 models, both male and female, and include a fashion show, a raffle and a concert. The show will include DJ Unknown and DJs from Hot 98.3. Pricing will be around $10 or $15 depending on the talent the club is able to book.

Dillard’s is providing the clothing and the makeup for the fashion show.

Each model will wear two outfits and receive a discount on the clothing they model.