Breast cancer tour hits campus

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Students take a self guided tour on computers provided by Komen-on-the-Go on Wednesday Oct 20, 2010.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat Students take a self guided tour on computers provided by Komen-on-the-Go on Wednesday Oct 20, 2010.

The national Komen On the Go tour stopped at the UA to promote breast cancer awareness Wednesday.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure parked its pink trailer at the corner of Fourth Street and Highland Avenue. The event included trivia questions, prizes and an interactive program on laptops in the trailer.

The UA was one of the last stops on the eight-week, 35-school tour. Local Susan G. Komen for the Cure affiliates worked with Campus Health Service to bring the tour to the UA.

“”The University of Arizona was lucky enough to be one of the places they wanted to come,”” said Carrie Hardesty, health educator for Campus Health Service.

The tour aims to inform college students about breast cancer, especially prevention methods like eating healthily and regular self-exams.

Students may be unaware that young women can be diagnosed with the disease or that their current habits may affect their chances later in life.

“”It’s really important college students do know they can be affected by breast cancer,”” said Kim Kirchhoff, tour operations manager for Komen On the Go.

Students who watched the interactive video also learned about the history of the organization, breast cancer’s impact on the community and volunteer opportunities. Participants entered a drawing and were given drawstring bags containing more information.

Janene Fernandez, a sophomore studying Spanish, attended the event because her aunt has breast cancer. She said she did not know a lot about the disease before her aunt was affected.

“”I think it’s important because (breast cancer) affects women of all ages,”” Fernandez said.

Most affected women are diagnosed with breast cancer after the age of 40, according to the American Cancer Society, but Fernandez said her aunt was diagnosed at age 26.

“”I definitely think it affects college students as well,”” she said.

Hardesty said breast cancer is so common that most people know someone who has the disease.

“”Maybe it’s a friend’s mother or sister,”” Hardesty said. “”If you yourself go, whether or not you’re affected, you can get educated.””

Pre-business sophomore Chris Kerrin volunteered at the event through ZonaZoo Crew. He said awareness initiatives are important for college students.

“”It’s never too early to get checked out,”” Kerrin said. “”(Breast cancer) can strike at any age.””

He said more education is needed.

“”It’s getting better, but I think it could be more prevalent on campus,”” Kerrin said.

Hardesty said the tour provided necessary information about the disease.

“”It’s really getting to the meat behind it,”” Hardesty said.