Fun alternatives to Halloween parties

Fun alternatives to Halloween parties

Tired of attending the same old theme party for Halloween every year? Luckily, there are events around and just outside of Tucson that are sure to provide just as much ghoulish fun, and without the nasty hangover.

Some events will certainly frighten the ghost out of you, while others will simply ensure a friendly All Hallows Eve.

Here are some of the contenders:

Phobia provides a place to get your scare on

Phobia boasts it is the scariest haunted house ever to hit Tucson. Located in the old Linens ‘N Things building at the Foothills Mall, Phobia features two haunted houses and one non-scary 3-D maze. With several familiar big-screen characters combined with the haunting’s own original ghouls, Phobia is right up any horror enthusiast’s alley. Phobia blends some of people’s worst fears into one giant haunted house, where things are lurking around every corner. You’d better take a friend to hold your hand. Phobia says on its Web site that “”you won’t just face your fears, you will run from them.”” Plus, all of the money generated is given back to charity — a good reason to be scared out of your mind.

Address: 7401 N. La Cholla Blvd., No. 133

Cost: One Haunt: $10

Two Haunts and 3-D maze: $20

For more info: www.phobiatucson.com

Chill with the artists in Bisbee

About an hour and a half south of Tucson lies a small mining-town-turned-artist-community in the hills of Arizona. Bisbee, known for its thrift finds, music festivals and all-around artistic mentality, embraces Halloween more than any other holiday. For two nights Bisbee will close down the streets of town and open the doors to its haunted hotels, St. Elmo’s Bar (the oldest continually operating bar in Arizona), costume contests, live music and prizes. You can delve even deeper into the spiritual world with local mystics performing séances, tarot card and past life readings. For those of you who feel like getting dressed up and dancing in the streets with a bunch of old hippies, Bisbee is the place to be on All Hallows Eve.

Directions: To get there, go west on I-10 till the AZ-80 and head south.

Cost: Free, with the exception of gas and drinks.

For more info: www.discoverbisbee.com

Club Congress cabaret and dance party combo

Hotel Congress is bringing a night of kinky cabaret and dancing to celebrate Halloween. The evening begins at 8 p.m. with the Cirque Du Sin Cabaret. Noted as one of the best cabaret shows in Arizona, The Tricks & Treats show will be filled with drinking, costumes, Halloween and, of course, cabaret.

Then stick around for the Bang! Bang! Halloween Dance Party. The party will consist of both Congress’ indoor stage and outdoor patio. Live music will fill the air and cash will be awarded to the best costume. What a better way than free cash to pay off that tab?

Address: 311 E. Congress St.

Cost: Cirque Du Sin Cabaret: $12 Seating

$8 General

$2 off with costume

Bang! Bang! Halloween Dance Party: $5

21+

For more info: www.hotelcongress.com

Running through the corn at Buckelew Farms

Don’t be fooled by Buckelew Farm’s name; their haunted corn maze is sure to get a rise out of you. Located at 17000 W. Ajo Way, Terror in the Corn takes place under the desert stars, making it an ideal location for a scare. If you went last year, don’t worry, Buckelew Farms prepares all year to bring visitors a new experience in the maze.

But if you aren’t up for a haunting good time, Buckelew Farms offers a regular corn maze for the faint of heart. If you decide to take on the challenge of entering the haunted maze, you also get free admission to the regular corn maze, but only after you have completed the task of entering the terrorizing unknown. Make sure you bring a flashlight!

Directions: Take Ajo Way (US-86) West for 22 miles outside of Tucson.

Cost:  Terror in the Corn and Corn Maze Combo: $18

Corn Maze: $10

Thursday Oct. 29: College night, $3 off admission with a CatCard.

Hours: Terror in the Corn: 6:30 p.m.- midnight

Corn Maze: 5 p.m.- midnight

For more info: www.buckelewfarm.com