Man charged in alleged sexual assault of UMC patient

Lubbock man remained jailed Sunday after he was arrested for an alleged sexual assault of a patient Saturday morning in University Medical Center.

Mark Starosta, 35, was charged with aggravated sexual assault of an elderly or disabled person just before noon Saturday in the hospital, according to the Lubbock Police Departmentand the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office.

The charge is a first degree felony punishable by five to 99 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000.

In a written statement, Greg Bruce, UMC’s vice president of corporate services, confirmed hospital staff reacted about 11:30 a.m. Saturday after seeing a patient enter an unauthorized portion of the hospital just before the alleged assault.

“”Staff quickly responded and discovered a suspected assault of another patient in progress,”” he said.

Bruce said a 35-year-old was soon arrested by Lubbock police.

“”I appreciate the quick work of the nurses and the assistance of the Lubbock Police Department,”” he said in the statement.

By late Sunday, Starosta remained in the Lubbock County Detention Center, where his bail had not yet been set.

Police over the weekend said they were not ready to release additional details about the incident or the alleged victim.

Starosta, whose jail records list him with a Lubbock address, does not have a record of criminal charges or convictions in Lubbock County, according to online court records.