Police Beat

A University of Arizona Police Department officer observed a man in a Zona Zoo T-shirt walking toward the student gate entrance of Arizona Stadium carrying an open bottle of beer at 540 N. Vine St. on Saturday.

The man stood 5-foot-9 and had short black hair. The officer approached him and said, “”Stop, you can’t bring alcohol in the stadium,”” according to reports. The man quickened his pace and the officer reached for the man’s right arm, grabbing him by the elbow. The man pulled away and started running into the crowd, hiding from the offi cer’s view.

He was located a few minutes later in the student line near Gate 4 without the bottle. The offi cer approached the man again and grabbed his arm . The man retaliated by using his back to push the offi cer into a cement pillar. The officer grabbed the man around the waist and began to struggle. Both the subject and the officer fell to the ground. The subject got up started running, dragging the officer still holding on behind him into the Zona Zoo line. The officer let go, and the subject ran southbound out of the stadium.

The area was searched, but the suspect could not be found. The officer received treatment for road rash at the stadium.

An officer responded to the area of Gates 6 and 7 in reference to two men jumping over the fence to gain illegal entrance to the UA football game at 540 N. Vine Ave. on Saturday.

An officer was already at the scene asking another man to leave. A crowd of spectators was watching and yelling at the man. The other officer approached and attempted to grab hold of the subject and escort him out, but he pulled away and displayed aggressive resistance. After a short struggle, the officer forced the man to the ground and handcuffed him.

The man was booked for third-degree trespassing and transported to Pima County Jail.

An officer observed two people sitting on a platform above the southwest elevator doors on the sixth level of Highland Avenue Parking Garage, 1614 E. Enke Drive, at 1:26 a.m. Saturday.

The platform they were on is accessible from a ladder east of the platform. The lower portion of the ladder has a metal door that closes over it and locks it. An assisting officer arrived and was able to unlock the ladder door, and the people climbed down.

They said they went up to see the view. One of the individuals said she didn’t think it was a big deal. The officer told the pair that if they had slipped they could have fallen six levels down to the ground.

They were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for criminal trespassing and released.

An officer observed a burgundy vehicle traveling eastbound on North Campbell Avenue and East Sixth Street at about 55 mph at 4:36 p.m. Saturday.

The officer activated emergency lights and pulled the car over on North Sawtelle Avenue just south of East Sixth Street. The officer approached the driver’s side of the vehicle and noticed a strong smell of marijuana in the car. The driver admitted she had just been smoking seconds prior to being stopped.

She said the pipe was in the center console and gave the officer permission to search the rest of the vehicle. Nothing else was found.

The woman was arrested for speeding and cited for possessing narcotic paraphernalia before being released.

An officer observed a man walking westbound on East Speedway Boulevard approaching Rincon Avenue at 1:09 a.m. Sept. 7, appearing to attempt to hitchhike.

The man had his left arm out with the thumb up. He appeared unsteady on his feet and was covered in black ink drawings on his face and neck. The man admitted to drinking at a fraternity and said he was extremely intoxicated. The man was cited for minor in possession of liquor and escorted home.