UPDATE: Fire near Tyndall garage was intentionally set

Sasha Gil
After a recent increase of car thefts on campus, UAPD sent an email notice to students on campus that included tips on how to safeguard their vehicles.

A fire was intentionally set at an abandoned property near Tyndall Garage on Saturday night, April 9.

According to the Tucson Fire Department public information office, TFD Engine 1 was dispatched at 10:20 p.m. to the 700 block of N. Euclid Avenue, where there were reports of a building fire at an abandoned property.

TFD arrived at the scene at 10:24 p.m., when firefighters observed smoke and flames from the second floor of an unspecified building.

A UAlert was sent out at about 10:42 p.m. instructing students and staff to “abandon apartments on fire west of Tyndall Garage” and to “avoid the area of Euclid between 6th/University [Boulevard].”

RELATED: UA cited for animal deaths, PETA files complaint

The fire was declared under control at 10:54 p.m.

TFD informed the Daily Wildcat that the fire was human-caused and intentional.

“Fire cause investigators have determined that the fire was intentionally set by transients in the area,” TFD said.

Tucson Police Department was also at the scene of the fire Saturday night. An investigation is underway into the vacant property and the cause of the fire, according to the TPD public information office. There are currently no suspects in custody.

There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians.

Follow Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter