Cross country preview

Michael Ignatov
Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona hosts the Dave Murray Invitational cross country meet at Dell Urich Golf Course, Tucson, Ariz., September 18, 2009.

The Arizona men’s and women’s cross country teams will race in the NCAA Pre-National Meet in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday, where head coach James Li’s women’s team will compete against 18 of the top 30 squads.

The women’s team will feature junior Maggie Callahan, along with sophomores Hanna Henson and Hannah Moen. They will be backed by talented freshmen runners Lauren Smith, Cami Jackson and Jennifer Bergman.

Meanwhile, the cross country men hope to rebound after illness and a freak injury to top runner Mohamud Ige during the Notre Dame Invitational. Both sophomore Abdi Hassan and junior Victor Zazueta will be back after missing their Notre Dame Invitational — in which the men’s team finished in last place — due to flu-like symptoms.

Both squads will be broken into two teams due to the large size of the race. The meet is Arizona’s last chance to compete before an Oct. 30 race for the Pacific 10 Conference Championships.

—Kevin Zimmerman