Police Beat

An officer driving through a parking lot at 1510 N. Vine Ave. observed a man lying across the back of a vehicle with his pants down around his thighs Sept. 1.

The officer approached and shook him. Upon waking, the man said, “”I don’t want to talk to you.”” The officer asked him to pull his pants up and provide ID, but he refused to give his name. When asked, the man said he was 18 years old.

After repeated refusals to identify himself, the officer put the suspect in handcuffs. The man began struggling and screaming “”police brutality,”” according to reports. A Washington ID card found in his left pants pocket did not fit the subject’s description.

He was arrested for possession of a fictitious ID and failure to provide a truthful name. He was booked as “”John Doe”” into Pima County Jail, according to reports.

An officer responded to a University of Arizona Police aide’s call of a female urinating in public outside the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., Sept. 1.

The aide was on bike patrol at SUMC when he observed a female in a black dress squatting in the grass on the south side of the building. As the aide approached her, it became apparent that she was urinating on the grass.

He radioed for a police officer while the woman sat on the grass. The woman claimed she was drinking at a fraternity house. She was cited for urinating in public and underage drinking and then released, on her guardian’s request, to return to her residence hall.

Police responded to Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., when a resident assistant called about a man lying semiconscious on the floor of a hallway Sept. 1.

The man had vomited on himself and was bleeding from the nose when the officers arrived.

The subject’s roommate had found him lying in bed covered in vomit and tried to carry him into the shower when the subject fell and began bleeding.

The man was cited for extreme intoxication. An ambulance took him to Kino Community Hospital.

An officer noticed a male subject on the east side of 7-Eleven, 1750 E. Speedway Blvd., drink from an open can of beer Sept. 1.

The officer told the man it was illegal to consume alcohol in public. The man showed signs of intoxication and refused to show ID. The officer radioed for an additional unit and tried to put the man in handcuffs, but he resisted.

The officer took out a Taser gun, pointed it at the middle of the subject’s chest and continued to request that the man put his hands behind his back. When assisting units arrived, the man was successfully handcuffed, arrested and taken to Pima County Jail.

An officer responded to an resident assistant’s call about a man sleeping on the couch in the basement at Yavapai Residence Hall, 1222 E. South Campus Drive, who wouldn’t wake up Sept. 1.

The officer shook the sleeping man and announced his presence. After the man woke up, the officer asked for ID. The man tried to hand the officer $20 that was lying on his chest. The officer refused the money and then the man presented a driver’s license.

The man said he was drinking at a fraternity party and came to the basement to order a pizza but fell asleep. The officer diverted the subject to the Dean of Students Office.

An officer responded to a call at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house, 1420 N. Vine Ave., in reference a man refusing to leave the property Sept. 1.

Upon arrival, the officer met fraternity members standing in the street in front of the house and the male subject standing on the curb. The members said the man got angry and hostile when he came to the house 45 minutes earlier to discuss why his bid for membership was not accepted.

The members asked the man to leave when he threatened physical violence against them, but he remained on the property. The fraternity members did not wish to press charges but asked that be he banned from the property. The man was flagged for trespassing and allowed to leave.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.