Police Beat

A cell phone was taken from the indoor track on the second floor of the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., on Aug. 5, reports stated.

The Samsung red and silver flip phone was reported stolen five days later.

The owner of the phone said she left the phone on a shelf next to her water bottle between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., and that was when it was taken.

? ? ?

A scratch was found on a car parked in a UA parking lot at 1121 N. Helen St. when the owner returned at 4:40 p.m. Aug. 10, reports stated.

The owner left the vehicle at 8:20 a.m. and retuned that evening to find a 12-inch-long scratch on his 2004 Honda Civic.

There were no witnesses or paint left on the rear quarter panel of the vehicle.

Police have no suspects at this time.

? ? ?

Police were called after a man found his car covered in a white powdery substance at 6:15 a.m. Aug. 9, reports stated.

The 1998 Mercedes E43 was parked around 12:30 a.m. at Skyview Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St.

When the owner found the vehicle, the contents of two fire extinguishers had been sprayed all over the exterior and interior. The sunroof had been left open, allowing access to the inside of the car.

Police found the two tabs that were pulled before use of the fire extinguishers near the vehicle.

? ? ?

A grey Nissan rolled into another car in a UA parking lot at 1420 E. Seventh St. after the car was left in drive, reports stated.

The police were called when the owner of a 1996 Toyota Corolla returned at 10:30 p.m. Aug. 10 to find the Nissan pressed against the width of the back of his car. The cars were resting bumper to bumper.

The responding officer ran a license plate check on the Nissan and found that the owner was an employee of the university.

The officer located the owner of the Nissan and asked him what kind of car he drove.

When the man confirmed that the car was his, the officer informed the man that his car had been left in drive and had backed into another vehicle.

The man replied, “”I’m such an idiot.””

The Corolla was left with a few black scuffs from the Nissan’s bumper and some paint transfer.

? ? ?

Someone attempted to break into building 2042 of Campbell Farms, 4101 N. Campbell Ave., between 5 p.m. Aug. 8 and noon Aug. 9, reports stated.

Two smeared, muddy footprints were left on the west door of the building. The door handle was broken, and the metal doorframe had been dislodged, apparently from blows administered by a foot.

No entry was gained into the building.

? ? ?

A man was arrested on four confirmed misdemeanor warrants, driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest Aug. 9, reports stated.

A record check on the license plate of the 1993 Volkswagen Fox that the man was driving revealed that the car’s tags had expired Aug. 31. The car was displaying ’07 expiration tags.

The officer pulled the man over off of South Kino Parkway and asked him about the car’s tags. He said he did not know about the tags and that the car belonged to a friend.

The driver could not produce identification or an insurance card. He also admitted that he had a warrant for child support that he was taking care of.

A record check on the driver found warrants for four misdemeanors.

The driver then got out of the vehicle and when the officer told the driver to get back in the car, the man began running toward South Kino Parkway.

The man then ran into a wash on South Kino Parkway, south of East Winsett Street, and the officer issued a warning when he pulled out his taser.

When the man continued to run, the officer fired the taser.

The man let out a yell and stopped running about 30 feet from where the taser was fired.

The officer climbed down into the wash, drew his gun, leaving his finger on the side, and ordered the man to get on the ground.

After the man complied, the officer escorted him out of the wash.

Officers removed a barb from the man’s arm. The man was not injured and refused any medical attention.

The car that the man was driving was towed to storage and the license plate was taken by police as evidence.

The man was booked into Pima County Jail.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.