“Campus ‘Cats: Cesar Huitron, media arts sophomore”

So, you mentioned that you recently got into the BFA in media arts. What made you to decide to focus on that area of study?

I always wanted to make movies as a little kid and this was the only department that offered this study. They only accept 14 to 17 students per year, so it was a great accomplishment. I had to compete against a lot of talented people to get accepted.

What kind of films do you consider great?

I like dramatic, character-driven films. I like films that focus on ordinary people in extraordinary situations, like “”Forest Gump,”” “”Titanic”” and “”Gladiator.””

What would you consider your greatest accomplishment?

Helping patients as a medic while stationed in Kuwait and Qatar.

Tell me about an event that changed your mind about people and the war.

The realization that even though humanity is at its worst against each other, there are still humanistic values that can be found in each and every one of us under traumatic circumstances.

What made you decide to join the military?

Regardless of how other people my age may feel about joining the military, I decided to do it because of the honor in serving my country. I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself and something that was so much more than just me. I don’t want to look back at my life someday and feel as if my life was spent in vain.

What do you feel is the greatest injustice in the world?

Honestly, a man leaving a single mother to raise a child by herself. I see it a lot and it is so common these days that people don’t even think twice about it. There’s no honor in doing that to any woman or child.

– Kelsey Ahlmark