Week at a Glance: Oct. 4-10

Pascal Albright

“Week at a Glance” Graphic

The Daily Wildcat compiles weekly a list of important dates to make note of to help students keep track of events and academic deadlines amidst their busy schedules. Check out some of the dates to remember for this week, Oct. 4-10, below.

Oct. 4, 5 and 8: Tucson Humanities Festival

Throughout October and early November, the University of Arizona College of Humanities will host its annual festival, whose theme this year is “Storytelling.” This week, the festival hosts three events:

• Oct. 4, 5:30 p.m.: “A Life in Stories: Visions & Journeys in the Land of Mystery,” with Cherokee storyteller Writingbear. The event will take place in the Poetry Center’s Dorothy Rubel Room, but the livestream will also be available via the College of Humanities’ website.
  • Oct. 5, 4 p.m.: “Inflection Points: A Gallery Talk on Poetry in Translation,” with four poetry translators. The event will be held over Zoom.
  • Oct. 8, 6 p.m.:  ”THE INNOVATORS: An Evening with Walter Isaacson,” where author Isaacson will discuss how history’s geniuses helped build life today as we know it. The event will be held in Centennial Hall and costs $5 to attend. Tickets can be purchased at Centennial’s box office or online with an extra service fee of $1.25. 

Oct. 4, 9 a.m.: Virtual University Status Update

President Dr. Robert C. Robbins and Dr. Richard Carmona will host the weekly virtual university status update and discuss COVID-19 updates related to the UA campus. To view the briefing, visit the UA’s YouTube channel. For an overview of last week’s updates, visit the recap on the Daily Wildcat website.

Oct. 5 and 9: FAFSA Filing Work Shop

The University of Arizona Department of Scholarships and Financial Aid will be hosting virtual FAFSA filing workshops on Oct. 5, 5:30-7 p.m., and Oct. 9, 10:30 a.m. to noon, this week via Zoom to help students with the form, which can sometimes be confusing. Filling out the FAFSA form may make some students eligible for financial aid or certain scholarships. The department will also have FAFSA filing workshops on Oct. 27 and Nov. 7. To RSVP for one of these days and times, visit bit.ly/azFAFSA2021

Oct. 8-10: Family Weekend

Starting Friday, Oct. 8 around noon, the University of Arizona will kick off its annual Family Weekend, this year back in person, with events occurring throughout the weekend, from award ceremonies to tours to fun activities students can participate in with their family members. For a full event schedule, or to register to attend, visit UA Family Weekend’s website.

Oct. 8-10: Tucson Meet Yourself

Coinciding with the UA’s Family Weekend is the local event Tucson Meet Yourself, which takes place annually in October in Downtown Tucson. This event, started in 1974, is a “celebration of the living traditional arts of Southern Arizona’s and Northern Mexico’s diverse ethnic and folk communities,” according to the event’s website. The event is free to attend and will have plenty of demonstrations throughout the weekend. For more information and a schedule of the events, check out Tucson Meet Yourself’s program

Oct. 9-10: Music + Festival 2021

The free annual festival, consisting of six concerts and a symposium, will feature music from French music teacher and conductor Nadia Boulanger and her students. For a list of events and concerts, visit Fred Fox School of Music website.

Oct. 8: Honors Convocation

The University of Arizona colleges will be holding their individual Honors Convocations this Friday to recognize the academic achievements of undergraduate students in the 2020-21 academic year. Faculty within each college will present students with awards, including Dean’s List and Academic Distinction. Awardees are also given a cord they can wear to signify that award at their graduation. For more information, visit your college’s website and search “honors convocation.”

Oct. 9, 7:30 p.m.: Arizona Football vs. UCLA

The Wildcats will take on the Bruins at home in Arizona Stadium. So far, the ‘Cats are 0-4 for the season, losing last week to Oregon 19-41. This will be a fan white out game, as well as have an event for Youth Football Day at halftime, where players with Tucson Youth Football will play at halftime. To purchase tickets, visit Arizona Athletics’ website

Follow Sam Burdette on Twitter