Foreign students visit less in spring

On Jan. 30, the Office of International Student Programs and Services will host a day trip to Old Tucson Studios for global citizens.

But the turnout could be scant, at least in relation to program attendance seen in the fall.

“”We get way more international students in the fall,”” said Noelle Carampatan, an international student adviser.

At the beginning of the school year, the international student programs and services are more frequently attended by those who have just arrived at the university because the programs are advertized in the orientation booklet, Carampatan said.

There may be fewer new international students in the spring, but there are almost the same number of programs and activities each semester, Carampatan said.

She also said that the program takes students to a UApresents show every semester and typically selects something “”international in flavor.””

The international student programs aim to provide social opportunities as well as critical information for international students. The student orientation covers everything, including how to manage Student Link, register for classes and use services such as banks, Cat Cards and transportation. The program also hosts a bike safety class with the Department of Transportation at La Aldea Residence Hall.

The international students can decide for themselves if they want to participate in specific international student program events.

“”I never tried to be in touch with exchange students or international students, I came here to integrate myself in the American culture,”” said Lorraine Guerra, a psychology senior who moved from France in 2006.

“”I have the International Students Programs and Services sending me e-mails about stuff they do, but I’m not interested. I really want to be part of the American culture and the only way for me to do that is by hanging out with my American friends,”” Guerra added.

Other students maintain their sense of culture by joining international-related clubs.

“”I am a member of Malaysian Club, and I worked for ISPS (International Student Programs and Services) for the summer to help them out with International Student Orientation,”” said Husna Diyana Hafit, a geosciences junior from Malaysia. “”I also joined the International Friends Club, where I meet up with new people, and I also made friends with an American. We’ve seen each other, shared information about Malaysia and the United States, and I am so happy with this friendship.””

Aside from participating in international student programs and services, these students are welcome to apply to live in residence halls or move off campus.

“”I lived in Manzanita-Mohave for the first two months of the semester and then moved into a house with a friend,”” said Dunja Nedic, a former exchange student from Australia.

“”Living in the dorms definitely made it a lot easier to make friends, especially with locals,”” Nedic said. “”It was odd being bound by more restrictions than I’ve ever really had, even living with my parents, and I was older than pretty much everyone else in the dorm.””

Guerra agreed that it was difficult to adjust to dorm life.

“”Dorms have a reputation of being noisy, and I like quiet places, I like to be alone, I like to spend time by myself reading or doing something else, and this would have never been possible in a dorm. And by living by myself, I have my kitchen, my bathroom and more,”” Guerra said.

Wherever the international students live, they can use the International Student Programs and Services for activities. 

“”Right now we’re trying to work with Pima Community College to see if we can work with international students there for solidarity,”” Carampatan said.