Wildcats run Huskies out of Tucson

Wildcats run Huskies out of Tucson

Despite the uncertainty surrounding Arizona heading into Saturday’s game against Washington, Matt Scott and the Wildcats dominated Jake Locker and the Huskies 44-14 in its most complete game of the 2010 season.

“”Certainly a good overall team win when you look at offense, defense, special teams,”” said head coach Mike Stoops of his Wildcats, who are now 6-1 for the first time since 1998.

With Nick Foles on the sidelines Scott led the Arizona offense to 467 total yards, including 358 yards in the first half – its highest first-half total since 2008.

Scott went 18-for-22 for 233 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing for 65 yards on seven carries.

“”I thought Matt was outstanding,”” Stoops said after the game.

“”He stepped up to the challenge,”” said receiver Juron Criner, who led the team with eight catches for 108 yards and a score. “”He prepared for it and he was ready for it and it showed.””

The junior quarterback led the way, but received a ton of help from running back Keola Antolin, who exploded for two touchdowns and 114 yards on 14 carries, highlighted by a 78-yard burst in the second quarter.

Senior tailback Nic Grigsby also crossed the goal line twice, moving into second all-time on Arizona’s rushing touchdown list with 28.

It was the Huskies that struck first as Locker hit Jermaine Kearse for a 26-yard score after Arizona H-back Taimi Tutogi fumbled at the Washington 38 on the first drive of the game.

But Scott answered back just over two minutes later with a 17-yard touchdown pass to David Roberts. The Wildcats rolled from there, riding the arm and legs of Scott, and the swarming Arizona defense.

The Wildcat defense did a tremendous job of limiting Locker, who finished the game 17-for-29 passing for 183 yards and a score. While he wasn’t bad through the air, Arizona kept Locker from beating them on the ground as he finished with six rushes for negative 24 yards. 

“”Jake Locker gives them a lot of different options,”” Stoops said. “”They’re a little unorthodox in a lot of formations and in their boots and all of that but I thought overall we positioned ourselves pretty well defensively throughout the course of that game.””

After running back Chris Polk scored with 7:55 on the clock in the second quarter, Arizona held the Huskies scoreless on its way to undoubtedly its best all-around game of the season.

The Wildcats were clicking offensively, defensively and proved they belong near the top of the Pacific 10 Conference, even without Foles under center.

Check back Monday for more coverage from Arizona’s 44-14 win over Washington.