Police Beat: Oct. 19

Hindsight is 20-20

A UA student reported that her CatCard and nutrition textbook had been stolen from a table at in the Student Union Memorial Center at 7:45 a.m. on Oct. 11. She reported the incident to the University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday.

A UAPD officer spoke with the victim by telephone at about 4 p.m. on Wednesday. The woman said she had been eating in the student union when she got up from her table to buy a drink. The student said she was gone for no more than three minutes. When she returned, someone had taken her book and CatCard. She has no idea who might have taken the items.

Almighty U-Lock has failed us

A student reported his bicycle had been stolen from the bike racks on the south side of the Electrical and Computer Engineering building at 5:53 p.m. on Wednesday. He believes it might have been stolen sometime between 3 p.m. – 5:50 p.m.

When speaking to a UAPD officer, the student reported he had locked his black bike with both a cable lock and U-Lock through the front and back wheels at 3 p.m. Upon returning at 5:50 p.m., both locks were missing. The student had registered the bike with Parking and Transportation Services, and also had his serial number. The student had no idea who might have taken his bike.

If a window shatters in the middle of the UA, can anyone hear it?

A woman reported that a house on campus had one of its windowpanes shattered on Wednesday.

The woman, who worked for UA Facilities Management Grounds, told police she discovered the broken windowpane in the courtyard earlier that morning. The officer inspected both the window and the house, though he did not find anyone inside. The time frame of the incident remains unknown due to the fact the house has been vacant for several months.

At this time there are no suspects, witnesses or evidence.

Not a drive-by, the bullets weren’t fired

A UAPD officer was walking through a parking lot just west of the police station on Wednesday at 9:35 a.m., when he noticed an unspent round of rifle ammunition lying on the ground. The officer picked up the round and secured it at the UAPD station.

The round appears to be of a .223 caliber gun and has markings on the back that say LC-07.

The round was lying in the road and was partially smashed and dented, apparently run over by traffic. It was placed into property and evidence, with a request to have it destroyed.