Encore: A second look at DVDs’ special features

A second look at DVDs’ special features

“”The Producers”” has already been made into two movies and a Broadway show, but don’t pass this DVD up by thinking that you won’t see anything new. Although the special features are not so special, this DVD version of “”The Producers”” still has the laughs and the punch that audiences have grown to love.

The bonus features on the DVD are mediocre at best. The deleted scenes are dull and the outtakes aren’t as funny as the movie itself.

lowdown

‘The Producers’
    PG-13
    115 minutes
    Columbia Pictures

The never-before-seen musical numbers were properly chosen. They would have only added minutes to the movie and they would have taken away from its comedic effect.

Analysis of a scene is a decent feature, but when you’ve spent two and a half hours watching this hilarious movie, the last thing you want to do is sit through a 30-minute feature with zero laughs.

The feature commentary from director Susan Stroman is well done, but lifeless nonetheless.

With a movie as good as “”The Producers,”” though, there is no need for special features. The ingenious plot, the deep characters and the hilarious jokes are enough to make you want to be a producer yourself.

The best way to create a successful Broadway show is to plan it as a failure, right? That’s what Max Bialystock (Nathan Lane) thinks in “”The Producers,”” a remake of the 1968 movie by Mel Brooks.

Bialystock is inundated with debt when Leo Bloom (Matthew Broderick) gives him a visit one day. Bialystock pleads with Bloom to help him out, so Bloom conspires a plan. If Bialystock produces a show that is a failure, it will bring him out of debt through the investments attained from the old widows who love him.

There’s only one catch, though: Bloom wants to be a producer as well.

This is the start of the rest of the movie, which sings and taps its way through an assortment of scenes that are hilarious without shame.

“”Springtime for Hitler”” is the show that Bloom and Bialystock decide to work on because they consider the show a flop and a Broadway failure in the making. Just to make sure that this show is a failure, though, they hire a group of choreographers who blow the show to colossal proportions.

What they get is a Broadway success and a lot of laughs.

There are many scenes that are so smart and crisp you can’t imagine them developed any other way.

When Bloom and Bialystock go to the house of the choreographers, Carmen Ghia (Roger Bart) and Roger DeBris (Gary Beach) perform a hilarious “”Tony”” number in which they both express how much they want to win a Tony Award.

Ulla (Uma Thurman) is the flirtatious actress/maid who neither Bialystock nor Bloom can resist. She has scenes in the movie as well.

A surprise performance comes from Will Ferrell as he plays Franz Liebkind, a Hitler fan. This is one of the first movies in which Ferrell acts like someone other than himself.