UA Rec Center expansion helps students overlook price

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Steve Romero, a mathematics junior, works out at the Student Recreation Center on Thursday, June 3. Students who are not enrolled in classes are required to pay a $25 fee per session to use the Rec Center during the summer.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Steve Romero, a mathematics junior, works out at the Student Recreation Center on Thursday, June 3. Students who are not enrolled in classes are required to pay a $25 fee per session to use the Rec Center during the summer.

A comparably cheap price tag and newly renovated facilities help some students look past paying a summer membership fee for the Student Recreation Center.

“”It feels more personal here,”” said Dustin Sandberg, an ecology and environmental biology senior who said he doesn’t mind paying to use the center over the summer.

UA students not enrolled in summer session must buy a membership if they wish to use the facility during the summer months.

Many students do not mind the price because of the center’s expansion.

“”The gym is really new and it has everything I need plus a lot more,”” said Brian Lamhang, a recent admit into first year pharmacy who said he thinks paying to use the Rec Center is worth the money.

Monica Fallon, a psychology sophomore paying to use the facility, said she enjoys the new expansion and thought the price was cheap.

However, while the Rec Center may be a better deal than other private fitness centers, not all students feel that the summer fee is justified.

“”It’s cheaper than all the other gyms but do think I should be paying? No, especially after the tuition raise,”” said Jacque Platta, a nutritional sciences senior.

Steve Romero, a mathematics junior, said he thinks the hours could be better and that he had heard this complaint from several other students as well.

Students enrolled in at least three credit hours over the summer do not have to buy a membership. A fee of $28.56 is included in their tuition to use the Rec Center for the whole summer.

Continuing UA students who wish to use the center over the summer can pay $51.12 for the entire summer or $25.56 for either term.

During the summer the Rec Center provides a variety of group fitness and activity classes varying from yoga and different forms of dance to self-defense and martial arts.

The activity classes vary in price from free to as much as $150 for members.

The group fitness classes have standard rates.

Lamhang said he plans to take the center’s spinning class over the summer.

He said he was interested in the course “”because it’s really tough and it’s one of the best classes at the Rec.””

Amanda Peterson, a nutritional sciences senior, said she would not be taking any of the fitness courses offered because of the additional cost.

Peterson is willing to pay for a summer membership, although she doesn’t agree with it, but is unwilling to pay any additional costs.

She said she thinks that, at least during the summer, the fitness courses should be included with membership.

With fewer students on campus, the Rec Center offers events for the community as well as students.

“”We try to utilize the space effectively; we rent out the space to some of the other camps on campus,”” said Juliette Moore, director of Campus Recreation.

Moore said the Rec Center offers a camp and swimming lessons for kids.

The center also has a faculty and staff softball league.

According to Moore, the number of gym users drops during the summer because there are fewer students on campus. However, between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m., which are considered the center’s peak hours, the Rec Center remains busy.

“”A lot of freshmen come in during orientation,”” Moore said.

During orientation, the Rec Center is open to students and parents who wish to try out the facility.

Rec Center Hours:

Monday-Thursday 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Friday 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Sunday Noon – 10 p.m.

Rec Center Group Fitness Passes:

Full Summer Fitness Pass – $55 (Valid June 7 – August 12)

Unlimited classes

Summer I Fitness Pass – $35 (Valid June 7 – July 11)

Unlimited classes

Summer II Fitness Pass – $35 (Valid July 13 – August 12)

Unlimited classes

One-Class Pass – $7

Valid to any one class

For more information visit the Student Recreation Center’s website http://campusrec.arizona.edu/