Police Beat

Minor cited for alcohol, marijuana possession

A man was cited and released for possession of marijuana and underage possession of alcohol on Nov. 14 at 11:59 p.m.

While performing a check in a lot near Babcock Residence Hall, an officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana. The officer observed a tall man standing in the lot. When the man saw the officer, he began to walk away. The officer made contact with the man and asked him to explain the odor of marijuana.

The man said, “”I’m going to be honest with you. I smell like marijuana because I just smoked it.”” The man told the officer that he did not have any more marijuana on him, but he did have some in his room. The officer also noticed a mild odor of intoxicants coming from the man.

The officer escorted the man to his room, where there were two marijuana joints. The man said he purchased them from an unknown off-campus dealer a few days before. The officer then asked the man if he had any alcohol in his room. The man said yes and gave the officer a half empty bottle of Seagram’s Seven Crown Whiskey.

The joints were confiscated for evidence and the whiskey poured out. The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana and being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Man booked for public drinking, warrant

A man was arrested for drinking in public on Nov. 14 at 11:06 p.m.

An officer observed a man sitting at the bus stop on East Sixth Street and North Park Avenue. He was drinking from a container that was concealed in a brown paper bag.

Police made contact with the man. They saw that the beverage was a 20-ounce Tilt Malt Liquor beverage. Approximately half of the contents of the container were cold to the touch. The man told the officer, “”I’m just finishing this up and I’ll leave.””

A records check showed that the man had a warrant out for his arrest through the Pima County Sheriff’s Office.

The man was arrested for drinking in public and his outstanding warrant. He was taken to the Pima County Jail and booked into custody. The remaining alcohol was disposed of.

Argumentative couple referred to Dean for MIP

Two students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office on Nov. 14 at 2:36 a.m.

Police were dispatched to the Forbes building in reference to a verbal disagreement. Upon arrival, an officer saw two people walking by Herring Hall and detained them. Both had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech.

The subjects said they had been dating for approximately a year. They said earlier that evening, they drank three to five beers each at an unknown location north of campus. After drinking, they walked to the UA Mall to get to their residence, Coronado Residence Hall.

When they reached the Forbes building, the woman laid on the ground and would not get up after repeated requests from the man. He then raised his voice to get her up. She told the officer she did not feel threatened when the man raised his voice at her. The man said this was not the first time they argued and that arguing was a “”natural part”” of their relationship.

Both people said they felt safe walking to their residence together. Both were diverted to the Dean of Students Office on charges of underage drinking.

Underage trio cited for MIP after frat party

Three people were cited and released on charges of being minors in possession of alcohol on Nov. 14 at 1:54 a.m.

While on patrol, an officer observed two women and one man walking on East First Street from North Warren Avenue. The man was restraining one of the women in a headlock, and she was trying to free herself. Police made contact with them to check their welfare. Immediately, a strong odor of intoxicants was detected.

Police interviewed the three of them separately. When asked about her age, one of the women said, “”Officer, I’m only 17. I have never been in trouble before. If my mother finds out that I have been drinking, I will be in a lot of trouble. I did not drink that much.””

The other people smelled of alcohol as well. The women stated they were visiting Tucson with the 17-year-old’s parents and were invited to a party by the man.

When the officer began to interview the man, the two women, who were advised to remain at the scene, started running toward an apartment complex located on East First Street and North Warren Avenue.

The officer reported he ordered them to stop. One woman complied, but the other continued running. The officer caught her on the north side of the apartment complex. Both were escorted back to the scene. The girl told the officer, “”I ran away because I was scared and did not want my mom to find out that I have been drinking.””

The officer then contacted the girl’s mother. She responded to the scene and asked if her daughter failed her breath test. The officer informed her he had not given her a breath test but asked if she wished to proceed with it. The mother said, “”No, it’s OK. It’s obvious enough. She had never done anything like this before.””

The man said he and the women were returning from a house party, where he drank two cans of beer and one cocktail containing alcohol that was available at the house. He did not give the officer the address or location of the party. The woman stated they were returning from a party at the Delta Chi fraternity house that the man had invited them to. The woman said she drank two cups of beer she found on a table in the house.

All three were cited and released for being minors in possession of alcohol. The man was also referred to the Dean of Students Office. The 17-year-old girl was referred to the Pima County Juvenile Court and released into the care of her mother.