FINAL: Arizona upsets Utah 69-51 behind stingy defense

Arizona forward Stanley Johnson (5) shoots the ball over Utah forward Chris Reyes’s attempted block during Arizona’s 69-51 win against Utah at McKale Center on Saturday, Jan. 17.

On Saturday, No. 10 Arizona men’s basketball beat No. 8 Utah 69-51 in the biggest Pac-12 game in McKale Center in years.

Arizona opened the second half on a 21-6 run to build a double-digit lead. The Wildcats ended the game with a 12-2 run.

UA point guard T.J. McConnell scored 16 points on 8-for-10 shooting, had one steal, three rebounds and six assists. Forward Stanley Johnson scored a game-high 18 pounds and had nine rebounds, with all 21 of his points coming in the second half.

UA forward Brandon Ashley scored 14 points and had eight rebounds.

Arizona shot 49 percent from the field, 14 percent from three and 67 percent from the free throw line. Utah shot 39 percent from the field, 47 percent from beyond the arc and 71 percent from the charity stripe.

Center Kaleb Tarczewski scored seven points and had five rebounds, fouling out with 5:30 left.

Utah guard Delon Wright scored 10 points, one in the second half.

Game nuggets:

• This is the first game between top-10 Pac-12 teams in McKale since 2004

• It’s the first matchup of top-10 Pac-12 teams period, since 2008

• Utah made nine three pointers and dropped seven dueces

• UA had 40 rebounds, UU 19

• The Utes had 11 bench points, the Wildcats six

Check back in with us later tonight for a full recap and analysis column from tonight’s action.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.