Restaurant offers food for thought

Members of the UA African American Student Affairs experienced food and fun during their visit to Mr. K’s BBQ and the Afro-American Heritage Museum.

The theme for Black History Month at the UA this year is “”Influences of the Past and the Power of the Present,”” and organizers scheduled the event at Mr. K’s museum because of its displays of African-American history in the Southwest.

Maria Moore, the program director for African American Student Affairs, said it was the program’s second year visiting the museum and that it is important for UA students to see places in Tucson that recognize African American history.

“”The numbers (of these places) may be small, but they’re out there,”” she said.

The museum is filled with artifacts that “”history books don’t tell,”” according to Charles Kendrick, one of the owners of Mr. K’s.

Among the artifacts kept at Mr. K’s are some that honor black cowboys, books from the “”Battle of the Bulge”” and a 1920s barber’s chair where men gathered to share stories.

The museum, which Kendrick said he has been running for 13 years with his partner Stanman Blair, is non-profit and supported in part by proceeds made from their barbecue restaurant adjacent to the museum.  

The restaurant’s barbecue ribs are considered to be some of the best in the country. They are identified as one of the 10 best in the West by author Nancy Davidson, who wrote “”Killer Ribs: Mouthwatering Recipes from North America’s Best Rib Joints.””

They were also featured on the National Public Radio website feature “”Summer Reading 2006: Cookbooks.””

Maisal Goe, a pre-physiology freshman, said it was her first time at the museum and described it as a “”great opportunity”” to learn about African-American history in Tucson.

Breisha Walton, a political science freshman and intern for African American Student Affairs, said everyone should come experience the museum regardless of race or ethnicity.

“”It’s history,”” she said.

Mr. K’s is located at 1830 S. Park Ave. and is open 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.