Women’s tennis remains undefeated at home with pair of Pac-12 wins

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona women’s team remained undefeated at home after it came away with two Pac-12 Conference victories last weekend over No. 36 Washington and No. 72 Oregon.

“We had a consistent performance this weekend and were happy to get these two wins,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “It was important for us to play hard and spirited.”

On Friday, the No. 31 Wildcats took on Washington and defeated the Huskies in a close match, 4-3.
After winning the doubles point and an exchange of match points tying it up at 3-3, all attention fell on court one.

Sophomore Lacey Smyth battled Washington’s Denise Dy for three sets to clinch the victory for Arizona. Smyth took a lead over Dy by winning the first set 6-4, but fell short in the second match 3-6. The 5-foot-1 California native held Dy to four points in the third set.

On Saturday, Arizona took on Oregon and defeated the Ducks 6-1.

After the Wildcats swept Oregon in doubles play, the team showed no mercy in singles play.

Sophomore Kim Stubbe won her first singles match after returning from an injury. She took on the Ducks’ Sofia Hager on court four. Stubbe defeated Hager in two matches with scores of 6-4 and 6-1.

Arizona’s record improves to 12-4 overall, 10-0 at home, and 2-1 in the Pac-12.

“Heading into our two upcoming road trips, we feel good where we are,” Maes said. “We can compete very well when we keep our heads together.”