Arizona track falls to ASU, tops NAU

Michelle A. Monroe / Arizona Daily Wildcat 

University of Arizona Police Department officials gave awards to UA employees and one student who helped them solve crimes or arrest people.
Michelle A. Monroe
Michelle A. Monroe / Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona Police Department officials gave awards to UA employees and one student who helped them solve crimes or arrest people.

Arizona track and field had outstanding performances this weekend but fell short against ASU in the Double Dual meet in Tucson. The NAU Lumberjacks came in third place. The No. 8 Arizona women’s team earned second place with 96 points and the No. 13 men’s squad also came in second with 86 points.

Junior high jumpers Nick Ross and Edgar Rivera-Morales once again went head to head for first place. Both cleared 2.20 meters and Ross took first place in a jump-off. For the women, junior high jumper Brigetta Barrett continued her streak on the bar, clearing 1.93 meters and remaining at No. 1 in the country and tied for first in the world.

“This is the most consistent I’ve been at 6-4 (or better),” Barrett said. “It shows that I’m a lot stronger and a lot more confident as a jumper this year. It also shows that I’m really prepared to jump a lot higher. So as we step into championship season, I know that all the weight training I’ve been doing all year and all the sleep I might have lost, it’ll be worth it in the end.”

Junior Georganne Moline picked up a win in the 400-meter hurdles clocking a time of 55.37 seconds. Moline also sits at No. 1 in the country.

“I wasn’t too happy with my 400-meter hurdle race,” Moline said. “There were some technical things I should have done a lot better. But, for me not having a perfect race and still getting a decent time, I wasn’t too upset.”

For the men, junior Clifton Leake took first place for the Wildcats in the men’s 400-meter hurdles with a new personal best of 51.89.

The women’s 4-by-400-meter relay quartet of senior Echos Blevins, sophomore Shapri Romero, sophomore Tamara Pridgett, and Moline took fist place for the second time this season with a new best time of 3:13.17.

Other first-place finishers include senior runner Stephen Sambu in the 1,500-meter race, Elizabeth Apgar in the women’s 1,500-meter race, Taylor Bush in the hammer throw, junior Alyssa Hasslen in shot put, and sophomore Elvin Kibet in the 3K.

“It is never a good day to not have more points than the Sun Devils and that’s just the way that works out,” head coach Fred Harvey said. “But we need to make sure we have more points than them at the Pac-12 and NCAA Championships.”