Arizona soccer kicks off conference play against No. 24 Colorado

Caleb Villegas
Wildcats pumping each other up with a group huddle before the game against Oklahoma on Friday, Sept 6 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was 2-0 win.

Arizona women’s soccer will look to open up Pac-12 play on a high note as they take on No. 24 Colorado University this Friday, Sept. 27.

The Cats’ are coming off a huge home win against Texas Christian University last week to move itsoverall record to 6-1. Colorado is also rolling into this game hot as they are ranked No. 24 in the country with an 8-1 record.

The Buffaloes were one of the top teams last season after beginning the year 13-0-3 before dropping their last four matches and missing the NCAA tournament, tying with Arizona for sixth in the Pac-12.

Last year’s game between these two teams ended in a 1-1 draw after playing two overtime periods with Jada Talley being the lone goal scorer for the Wildcats.

This year’s game could be a similar stalemate, as both teams have dominated their non-conference schedule up to this point. Colorado has outscored their opponents 19-5 with wins against the University of Texas and Baylor University, compared to Arizona’s 20-7 goal differential.

Colorado is led by senior midfielder Taylor Kornieck. She’s scored 6 goals, 5 assists and has a team-high 17 points. Forward Tessa Barton has also stepped up this season, scoring 3 goals in her nine games this season while also tallying an assist.

For Arizona, it has been the dynamic duo of Brooke Wilson and Jada Talley. Wilson has scored a goal in three of her last four games and five total this season. Talley has been the main distributor of the team with her 5 assists at the attacking midfield position. Junior forward Jill Aguilera has made an impact after her double-goal performance against TCU last weekend. Watch for Kendyll Humphreys in net this weekend as she has allowed just one goal in her four games this year.

Kick-off is at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium in Tucson on Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter.