Police Beat

No one on the corner got daggers like us

A man was arrested for a warrant on April 19 at 3:25 p.m.

While on patrol near the UA Main Library, an officer noticed a man who was wearing a dagger around his neck that was attached to a lanyard. The officer made contact with the man and asked him to surrender the weapon because he was in violation of the UA-Weapons Free Zone policy.

The officer then asked the man if he had any other weapons on him. He said yes and gave the officer a knife that was in his pocket.

The man told the officer that he was a construction worker and he used the knife while on the job. The man also said that he recently purchased the dagger because he liked the way it looked and was not aware that its intended purpose was as a sharp-edged weapon.

A check of the man’s name showed that he had a misdemeanor warrant out for his arrest from Tucson Police Department for failure to appear on a third degree trespassing charge. The warrant was confirmed and the man was taken to the Pima County Jail. The dagger and knife were confiscated and he was warned about bringing weapons onto campus.

I forgot I had a court date and a syringe in my pants

A man was arrested for a misdemeanor warrant and charged with two other counts after he was taken to jail on April 19 at 8:56 a.m.

An officer stopped a man who was riding a bicycle south on Cherry Avenue because the bike had two different tires. The officer noted that he had seen the man earlier in the day sitting at a bus stop without a bike.

The officer made contact with the man and told him that he had seen him earlier in the day without a bicycle. The man told him that his friend had given him the bike at the Circle K on Sixth Street and Cherry Avenue. When the officer asked the man for his friend’s name, the man said that he could not remember. He also told the officer that his friend was no longer at the Circle K.

A check of the man’s name showed that he had an outstanding warrant from Tucson Police Department for failure to appear for a shoplifting charge. The warrant was confirmed and the man was searched, then taken to the Pima County Jail. The bike was confiscated and taken to the UAPD station for safekeeping.

At 10:35 a.m., UAPD received a call from the Pima County Jail advising them that a used syringe had been found in a pair of gym shorts that the man was wearing under his blue jeans. The corrections officer said that he asked the man prior to searching him if he had any contraband, but the man said no. The officer then said that the man appeared nervous when he was asked to take off his jeans.

The syringe was turned over to UAPD and the man was additionally charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and promoting prison contraband.

Minor in possession of alcohol, older sister’s ID

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol and using another person’s license on April 19 at 10:25 a.m.

An officer responded to the University Medical Center to follow-up on a call from earlier in the morning. When the officer arrived, he made contact with a woman who had been taken to the emergency room for extreme intoxication. She was now fully alert and awake.

The officer asked her if she could recall any of the events from the previous night. She told him that she could only remember some of it. The woman said that she had a few shots of Bacardi, but that was all she remembered drinking. She told the officer they were standard size, small shot glasses. She did not remember how many shots she had, but she did admit that it had only been a few and she did not think that the amount would affect her the way it did.

When asked where she had been drinking, the woman said that it was in her dorm, Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, but not in her dorm room. She could not remember the room number but told the officer that it was on the second floor of the Arizona side. The woman said that there were several people in the room, but she only knew her roommate and one other man. She did not know whose room it was.

The officer then asked the woman why she had her sister’s driver’s license in her possession. He noted that the license was for someone who was over 21. The woman said that her sister had forgotten her license when they had gone on vacation and she had not seen her so she could give it back. When asked when they had gone on vacation, the woman responded that it was a year prior to the day. She told the officer that she had not used the license to purchase alcohol.

The woman was cited and released on scene for being a minor in possession of alcohol and using another person’s driver’s license.