Police beat: June 12

Suspicious duffel bag

A suspicious duffel bag was reported at the James E. Rogers College of Law last week, at approximately 8:42 a.m. The bag, lying near a wheelchair access ramp on the south side of the College of Law, was narrow and black, and hidden underneath some bushes.

The bag contained several personal hygiene products and a garage door opener. A torn shoulder strap also lay nearby the bag. There was no identification in or around the bag.

Maybe it’s Maybelline

A non-UA affiliated man was cited and released last week after attempting to shoplift from the UofA Bookstore.

The man attemped to steal $41.92 worth of makeup products at approximately 11:42 a.m., and was reported by a loss prevention employee.

The man said he had not meant to steal the makeup, adding that had been writing information down for a possible internship with the UofA Bookstore at the time of the incident.

He claimed to have forgotten to pay for the makeup, which he had put in his pocket.

The man said that he will be contacting his attorney and the Dean of Students so he can return to the bookstores.

The Bolt-Cutter Trespasser

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested near Mountain Avenue at 5:21 a.m. last week on charges of trespassing after having a warrant from the Tucson Police Department.

The University of Arizona Police Department received a report of a man carrying a sack looking in to car windows and walking into the courtyard of the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building. A UAPD officer stopped the man and informed him of the suspicious activity report. The man admitted to walking through the AME courtyard to get a drink from the water fountain.

A records check of the man showed a failure to appear warrant from TPD for trespassing. UAPD officers searched the sack finding clothes and large black bolt cutters.

The man was arrested and told not to return to the UA campus unless he had a legitimate reason.

The bolt cutters and all other items found on the man were taken into property as evidence.