Q&A: Arizona soccer senior bids farewell

Owen Forest
Owen Forest / The Daily Wildcat Julia Glanz, number 19 during practice on Tuesday Oct. 21.

Coming off a disappointing 6-0 thrashing at the hands of No. 1 UCLA last weekend, Arizona soccer will try and rebound this weekend when it hosts its final two home games of the season against No. 4 Stanford and Cal on Friday and Sunday.

Playing at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Stadium for the last time in her Wildcat career this weekend, senior midfielder Julia Glanz gave the Daily Wildcat a few moments to discuss her career at Arizona, her South African heritage, Halloween and the U.S.’s health risks.

Daily Wildcat: This is your final year as a Wildcat; how would you say it has gone so far?

Glanz: It’s been the best one yet. We’ve had our best season since I’ve been here, and honestly, since I was a freshman, it’s just gotten better each year, so it’s been a good way to end so far.

Being a senior, would you say your role has changed at all this year?

Absolutely. As a senior, you just know the ins and outs of everything, so people look [to] you for questions, so you just have to guide the youngins in the right direction.

Last year, the team made huge strides in UA head coach Tony Amato’s first season. How would you say this season has been different?

I think we are just building on last year. We’ve accomplished a lot of things we haven’t done in a long time in this program, and we just want to keep moving forward from that.

You’re from the Los Angeles area. How was it going home last weekend?

It was nice. I got to see my family and that is always great.

Your parents are from South Africa; what’s their story?

They’ve been here about 30 years now. They came over when apartheid was going on and they’ve been here ever since.

Have you ever been to South Africa?

I actually went last December for the first time since I was 5, and I loved it.

Do you feel like South Africa is a big part of your life, and do you plan on going back there often?

I want to make an effort to go back there every year. It’s a little pricey, but it’s so worth it once you are there. It’s so beautiful.

Growing up, what was your favorite Halloween costume?

… Probably a cow. I wore a full-body cow costume with like a milk mustache when I was in middle school.

Do you plan on dressing up as anything this year?

That depends if coach allows us to have a Halloween practice.

If he does, do you have any idea what you will go as?

That’s a surprise.

What’s your favorite candy?

Not really a candy eater, but I do love chocolate.

Do you have a favorite scary movie?

I hate scary movies. They are not enjoyable.

_______________

Follow Brian Peel on Twitter.