Arizona track and field star Lalang sets high goals for future

Run, Forrest, Run!

When it comes to the Arizona Wildcats cross country athletes, that is all they know.

I sat down with prominent track and field Wildcat, Lawi Lalang, to discuss his times, his hopes for this season, and where he sees himself in the future.

Daily Wildcat: You’ve competed in some big events over the last few months, with amazing times; some of the best times of your career had come out of these past few events. What do these victories mean to you and how do you plan to continue to produce record times such as your 5K time?

Lalang: It means a lot to me. My fastest time was in Europe and that just gives me more confidence to improve my time, which I’m really working on. I really want to improve to be part of the top ten in the world.

After all your success last season, what are you looking forward to most this season? Maybe more record times under your belt?

I’m looking forward to the indoor and outdoor track seasons. Knowing that I have to improve my indoor time to improve my outdoor time really makes me work harder. And keeping up with my cross country times.

What do you think of the men’s team this year and how do you expect everyone to work together and push one another to succeed?

I really think this team could go to national. We have about six guys who can run really good and with motivation, they could run even better. It is a dream of mine to make it to nationals with this team and I think we could do it. It would be really nice.

With your cross country collegiate career nearing an end do you see yourself going pro?

I have started thinking about it. I definitely want to run professionally, but I am going to compete in the indoor and outdoor season as a senior before I run professionally.

-Follow Makenzie Thiel @makenziethiel