UA professor dies from heart attack

Roy+Ax%2C+professor+of+animal+sciences%2C+died+suddenly+March+29%2C+2011+from+a+heart+attack.++
Roy Ax, professor of animal sciences, died suddenly March 29, 2011 from a heart attack.

Professor of animal sciences Roy Ax died unexpectedly of a heart attack on March 29.

Ax came to the UA as the chairman of the department of animal sciences in 1990 and held that position until 2001. He specialized in domestic animal reproduction and was also an adjunct professor of obstetrics and gynecology.

Ax was an exceptional teacher with a good sense of humor, said Bob Collier, a professor in the department of animal sciences who knew him for 38 years. Ax received several teaching and research awards during his life.

“”He was very well recognized and won awards for his research in reproduction,”” said Ron Allen, head of the department of animal sciences.

Ax’s research had practical applications for livestock producers, bringing him national prominence in his field, according to Allen.

“”He was a really wonderful person, a really great teacher and made a lot of contributions to his field,”” Collier said. “”He had a fulfilling career and will be missed.””

Students could always find Ax’s door open, said Nancy Palm, an administrative assistant in the Department of Animal Sciences who knew Ax for five years. She said students often came to him with their academic and personal concerns.

“”He was just there for everyone,”” Palm said. “”That’s why he was so well-loved.””

Ax showed commitment to the success of his undergraduate and graduate students.

“”He was very dedicated to education,”” Palm said. “”He was excellent at finding internships for students. He had connections not only in Arizona, but all over the country.””

Palm said his sudden death has been difficult for colleagues to cope with.

“”We are all coming together to fill the huge void created by his death,”” Palm said. “”Some students have created a shrine on his office door. It’s very touching.””

His memorial service will be held Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Room 100 of the Social Sciences building. Organizers are asking contributions be made to his endowment fund in lieu of flowers.