Police Beat: May 1

Date dash heartbreak

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for being a minor in possession of alcohol on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were sent to check on a man on the corner of Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard who was stumbling around and seemed distraught. As the officers approached, they noticed the man trip and fell onto a bench.

When they reached the man, the officers asked him what was wrong. The man said that he’d gotten in a fight with his girlfriend at a date dash and looked as if he was about to cry. As the officers talked to the man, they noticed that his eyes appeared watery and bloodshot, and his speech was slurred.

The officers then asked the man if he’d been drinking. He replied, “Yes, but just only a little,” and claimed that he’d only had two shots of vodka at Delta Tau Delta fraternity house.

The student was then informed that he would be referred to the Dean of Students Office and was taken back to his room at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall.

“Liquid spray”

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for being a minor in possession at 2:40 p.m. on Saturday.

A UAPD officer noticed a man wearing shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a towel stumbling as he crossed the street to First Street and Highland Avenue. Finding it suspicious, the officer followed the man until he was sighted again, urinating on the side of the Chi Omega sorority house. The officer could not directly see this because there was a shrub blocking the view, but the officer could tell that his hands were near his crotch. Several seconds later, the man tilted his head back and let out a big sigh, and then began moving his right arm in a forward to back motion.

The officer then requested another officer to perform a welfare check on the man after he left the sorority house. Before tracking down the suspect, the officer investigated the scene where the man was believed to have urinated and observed “liquid spray” on the wall of the sorority house that slightly smelled of urine.

The man was finally stopped near Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall by another officer, who could smell alcohol on the man’s breath. The officer then read the man his Miranda Rights, and asked him if he understood. He replied, “Yeah.”

To confirm the man understood, the officer asked, “Does that mean yes?” The man responded with, “Yes.”

The man was asked where he was coming from, but could not remember. The officer had to repeat the question multiple times before the man remembered that he had come from the Kappa Sigma fraternity house. The man claimed he had only drank “a little beer.” When asked to be more specific, the man said he had drank three to four Coors beers around 1:30 p.m. and had gotten the alcohol from some friends that were over 21.

The man was then diverted to the Dean of Students Office for being a minor in possession of alcohol.