Gymcats look to find winning ways at home

For the No. 19 Arizona gymnastics team, the toughest 10-day stretch of the season is finally over. After having to travel to then-No. 5 Stanford on Sunday Jan. 20, then to Corvallis, Ore., to face then-No. 11 Oregon State on Jan. 25 a mere five days later, the Gymcats had their work cut out for them.

But the unforgiving schedule and the injuries turned out to be too much for Arizona as it was defeated in both meets, and posted its’ season low score, 194.050 at OSU.

“”Injuries and people not being at 100 percent really contributed to our performance,”” said UA head coach Bill Ryden. “”We only had two days of training to get ready for OSU. No excuses, but I’m glad that that 10-day segment is over.””

This week, Arizona had a full week of training as it prepared for its’ second home meet of the season against California tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. in McKale Center. Already, the Gymcats return to normalcy has begun to yield improvements.

“”We looked better in practice (on Monday and Tuesday) than we did at all going into OSU,”” Ryden said. “”We’re switching the lineup around again, as we might be pulling Miranda Russell out due to injury but we are getting Sarah Specht back (after missing her last week). So we get one back but lose another, so we’re constantly playing the swat game.””

Ryden noted that there is very little depth on the team and he needs his girls to step up and perform at their highest level because their reserves are limited.

Senior Danielle Hicks’ shoulder is still banged up after major off-season surgery, and senior Karin Wurm is still wearing a protective boot to shield her ankle as she recovers from a stress fracture. And every other Gymcat has seemingly spent their fair share of time in the training room.

“”If you don’t go to the training room and (you’re) still injured,”” Russell said, “”than it’s your own fault.””

Ryden also said that his team is looking forward to competing at home and being in front of their own fans.

“”We love competing at home, “”said junior Alexis Greene. “”In front of our home crowd, in front of our friends everyone… We just want to go out there and perform and show everyone what we’ve been working (on).””