UA Symphony ends semester with rhythm

The UA Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony will join forces to present their end-of-the-semester concert.

The wind symphony will perform a program filled with music by Leonard Bernstein, including the “”Overture to Candide,”” “”Symphonic Dances,”” from “”West Side Story”” and “”Suite from Mass”” featuring the faculty brass quintet.

Bernstein’s music is filled with rhythmic complexity.

“”Bernstein is a master of rhythm,”” said Robert Bayless, assistant music professor. “”He was a master at doing intricate rhythms which were not used too much until his time. He’s got different rhythms going throughout the ensemble all the time, which makes it interesting and very challenging. Not only was he a formal composer, but he also knew the idiom of jazz inside and out, and that really adds a lot to his compositions. I enjoy doing Bernstein’s music because it is so rhythmically intricate and it’s a lot of challenge for the students and the director.””

Suzanne Sommerhalter, a music education junior who plays flute in the wind symphony, said she enjoys “”Symphonic Dances”” the most.

“”It’s from a Broadway show and it’s really fun and each movement is a different type of dance,”” she said. “”There’s a mambo, and a fugue, and a cha-cha.””

After the intermission, the symphonic band will perform a variety of music in its program, including “”Under the Double Eagle,”” by J.F. Wagner and “”Concerto per Flicorno Basso”” by Ponchielli.

Bayless said anybody can join the symphonic band. 

“”You don’t have to be a music major. It’s a really good group and I really enjoy doing it because we have kids from all parts and all studies of the university,”” Bayless said. “”I have a philosophy major, an aerospace major, a chemistry TA and people that are majoring in other areas. They enjoy playing music and they’re not doing it as an academic pursuit.””

Sommerhalter said the audience will enjoy the light-hearted nature of the concert.

“”This concert has a lot of upbeat music and it’s very interesting. Each piece is different,”” Sommerhalter said. “”It’s just really good.””

The University of Arizona Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony Concert will perform at 7:30 tonight at Crowder Hall. For more information, visit web.cfa.arizona.edu.