‘Diva La Paz’ celebrates 22nd annual show with ‘Pride Center’ unveiling

Cecilia Alvarez
A diva performs during Diva La Paz at Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall on Nov. 7, 2014, to raise awareness about issues facing the LGBT community. A residence assistant created the event 21 years ago.

Tonight, the annual drag show “Diva La Paz” at Colonia de La Paz Residence Hall is coming back; more fierce and more proud than ever.

The hosts, Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall staff and Hall Council, are inviting students to come “unleash [their] wild side” with your favorite divas and drag queens for this year’s jungle theme. 

Diva La Paz will also serve as the opening reveal for the dorm’s new “Pride Room” before the show, where everyone is welcome to walk through, celebrate and learn more about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning community. 

RELATED: Campus LGBTQ center needs more space, resources

If student’s are interested but don’t feel comfortable being pulled into the show, La Paz’s Community Director Matthew Linton, who also helped coordinate last year’s event, is re-introducing the marked interactive seats for those willing to be potential participants on stage with the performers. 

For those who are looking to participate and get the full experience, seating is first come, first serve. 

“I’m definitely looking for smiling faces in the crowd, and I’m definitely looking for smiling faces behind the camera, if you will,” Linton said, regarding his hopes for the event. “Those people who may not get the attention for the all the hard work they’ve done, I hope to be able to see them enjoying the show as well.” 

No matter how it goes, Linton is still proud and thankful for all the staff and volunteers that contributed in making the event possible. Diva La Paz is always a year in the making, according to Linton, and always carefully planned as one of the most special and beautiful traditions here at the university. 

“With this being the longest running social justice program here on our campus, I really hope that it is something  that our community as a whole — from everyone that works here, attends here or the staff — can continue to grow and enhance presence of social justice on campus,” Linton said

RELATED: Diva La Paz celebrates LGBTQ  community

Linton said he doesn’t want there to be a misconception that “drag equals gay, lesbian or anything,” because the drag culture is actually very different from the LGBTQ community.

“But some members who do drag do identify themselves within the community,” Linton said. “So what I want to see from the LGBT community is the ‘Pride Room’ aspect of the show … because we have worked so collaborative with LGBTQ+ Affairs,” and others he said.

Doors will open at 6 p.m., with the main show beginning at 7 p.m. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter