Wildcat woes continue in second round

Though the weather was beautiful at Palos Verdes Golf Club in Palos Verdes, Calif., at the Northrop Grumman Tournament, the day could not have been more dismal for the Arizona women’s golf team, which dropped into 12th place after shooting a 25-over-par in the second round of the three-day event.

The No. 9 Wildcats had hoped to make a comeback after falling out of fourth place in the first round in a second-half meltdown. But that wasn’t the case as the Wildcats witnessed a late afternoon disappointment again, shooting a 20-over-par on the front nine holes.

Senior Alison Walshe led the Wildcats on the back nine and freshman Alejandra Llaneza carried the Wildcats on the front nine. But it wasn’t enough as both posted a 5-over-par 76.

Llaneza currently leads the Wildcats as she is tied for 28th place at 10-over-par with a 154. Walshe and her teammate Amanda Wilson, who shot an 8-over-par 79, are tied for 37th place at 12-over-par.

Other notables for the Wildcats are senior Mary Jacobs (7 over, tied for 50th) sophomore Emily Mason (9 over, 69th).

No. 3 USC dominated the show yesterday shooting just 4-over-par, much improved from its first-round 14-over-par that had the Trojans 10 strokes out of the lead. No. 2 UCLA watched its commanding lead disappear with a disappointing performance of 15-over-par to put them at 19-over-par for the tournament and into second place.